If you feel you are in crisis, you might like to know about some options for help and support in addition to the free help available from SANE.
General crisis support:
- Ring or text a friend or family member.
- Ring SANEline, a specialist mental health helpline - 0845 767 8000 between 6pm and 11pm each evening.
- You can ring Samaritans any time - 08457 90 90 90 – they offer a listening service.
- Ring NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
- Go to your local Accident and Emergency department if you are feeling suicidal or if you have self-harmed and are concerned about it.
If you already have contact with mental health services:
- Contact your local Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)
- Contact your crisis team if you have one.
If you have had no contact with mental health services, eg it may be the first time you, or someone else, has been in crisis:
- Contact your out-of-hours GP service. Google ‘Out of hours GP in x’ (give your location).
- Alternatively, your GP surgery will usually provide an answer phone message advising you of who to contact in an emergency, together with other useful telephone numbers.
- Make an appointment with your regular GP, as this is usually the first point of contact for anyone concerned about mental health issues.