Need to talk?

SANEline is open between 4pm to 10pm, 365 days a year

Call 0300 304 7000

More ways to get support

Explore this section

Claiming ESA or PIP

We know many of the people who contact SANE find the benefits system confusing and stressful to navigate. Living with a mental health condition can make managing money more difficult while worrying about money can also affect mental health.

If you want to better understand how to apply for employment and support allowance (ESA) or personal independence payment (PIP), then more information is now available via the Mental Health and Money Advice website.

Mental Health and Money Advice offer advice clear, practical advice and support for people experiencing issues with mental health and money. It is the first UK-wide online advice service designed to help you understand, manage and improve your financial and mental health.

Below are links to specific pages on ESA and PIP.

ESA: Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit you could claim if you have an illness or disability that affects your ability to work. Find out about ESA and mental health, as well as whether you’re eligible and how to claim.

PIP - Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people with a physical or mental health condition. This PIP mental health guide consists of four sections: Introduction to PIP, help with your PIP claim, challenging a PIP decision and PIP resources.

Please help us support others in need!

Make a donation

Close menu