Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Symptoms have started to become physical.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
boyce

Symptoms have started to become physical.

Postby boyce » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:16 pm

I have suffered with general anxiety disorder and depression (undiagnosed) for many years, compounded by a number of family/life stressors. In the last few months, I have developed migraines (aura with numbness in right side) and chest pains. I have undergone tests and been in and out of hospital/a&e and the only thing anyone can tell me is I am a very healthy and strong young woman. This leaves me with the realisation that I have not done enough to manage my emotional wellbeing and put others first and my body is now sort of saying.....no. I have always said i would rather it be me having a hard time than any of my family members.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on physical symptoms and if anyone has had similar. I don't know what to do to help myself anymore. I can't escape the stressors so feel stuck on how to mitigate them. On the surface, in my professional life, I am a bright, smiley, relatively successful person and I can't help but feel repressing my emotions outwardly and not staying authentic to them has caused my mental health issues to manifest physically. I feel like I'm losing my mind and it feels as though I have no future to hope for, even though I know I have so much potential and much to offer.

After referring myself for therapy through the NHS, I started CBT online. This is doing absolutely nothing for me and feel I need a deeper talking therapy. It's hard to say if 2020 has been the straw that broke the camels back.

Any advice/anyone feeling the same?

epitaph

Re: Symptoms have started to become physical.

Postby epitaph » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Hello boyce,

Welcome to the forum.

So a few things, 2020, the lockdown that seemed to be never ending and then kept on re-occurring was hugely damaging to many. From my own experience it is entirely possible to feel physical pain as a direct result of a severe emotion. The parts of the brain that process rejection (or failing to live up to ones own high standards/expectations) for example are closely related to those that process physical pain. I've read and experienced excruciating physical pain as a result of complex and strong emotions.

Talking to someone or others (for me typically about something entirely different), provides relief from the way I'm feeling. A good therapist (and I don't have one), would hopefully assist you in understanding what you might be suffering from and how best to manage it. I do recall the feeling of "loosing my mind", albeit when I was able to work out what I was suffering from this provided some form of relief as at least then I could account for and recognise the thoughts, feelings and emotions that were troubling me and why. I was then able to learn more about typical behavioural traits associated with the condition which assisted me in recognising the same, albeit these can be difficult to manage and control in all situations.

Despite the above I'm loathed to offer advice as you might not actually want that despite your request for the same. If you search my other posts there is one about the wellbeing acronym CLANGERS you might want to give some of those a go.

Take care

Return to “Mutual Support Group”