Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Lonely coming out of lockdown

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
lol76

Lonely coming out of lockdown

Postby lol76 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi

Everybody seems to be celebrating and excited about coming out of lockdown yet all I feel is that the world is moving and going back to normal yet I feel stuck with my head and lonely. I kind of got use to lockdown and my safe little bubble and routines, now I feel a bit shaken...I was anxious going into lockdown now I'm anxious coming out.. why doesnt my head make sense? It's hard to talk about with friends as they just seem to be getting on with things...I feel like it's starting to highlight all the stuff that's wrong in my life again. Its as if everybody is going back to their exciting lives yet I'm stuck not knowing how to move foreward...yet again my head is telling me I'm failing, it's my fault, I just need a good shake...yet day after day my motivation is absent and I feel low and tired. Meanwhile the news is showing people outside if pubs having fun and glad to be out.

heretochat

Re: Lonely coming out of lockdown

Postby heretochat » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:49 am

lol76 wrote:Hi

Everybody seems to be celebrating and excited about coming out of lockdown yet all I feel is that the world is moving and going back to normal yet I feel stuck with my head and lonely. I kind of got use to lockdown and my safe little bubble and routines, now I feel a bit shaken...I was anxious going into lockdown now I'm anxious coming out.. why doesnt my head make sense? It's hard to talk about with friends as they just seem to be getting on with things...I feel like it's starting to highlight all the stuff that's wrong in my life again. Its as if everybody is going back to their exciting lives yet I'm stuck not knowing how to move foreward...yet again my head is telling me I'm failing, it's my fault, I just need a good shake...yet day after day my motivation is absent and I feel low and tired. Meanwhile the news is showing people outside if pubs having fun and glad to be out.

I completely understand how you feel. I too got used to lockdown and now feel shaken coming out of lockdown. Sorry you are feeling stuck with your head and lonely, though remember you are not alone. You ask "why doesnt my head make sense?" I don't think it's your head not making sense but more of the situation we are living in at the moment that isn't making sense. You are not failing and it's not your fault. Don't compare your life/situation to those on the news outside of pubs. It might seem like they are having fun and glad to be out but we don't truly know their situation

epitaph

Postby epitaph » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi Both,

Sorry I've been meaning to write a reply for a few days but it takes a lot for me to just get through the working week, prior to spending the weekend recovering ... only to do it all again....

I think it is perfectly natural to feel apprehensive about the current lockdown ending (so slowly....), with the hint that things might return to some form of normality. That said, we've tried this twice before only for there to be another lockdown and I hate to say it but if we have learn't anything we can't take what we have for granted! and therefore should be making the most of everything we have...

I've said it before but these are not normal times, lock downs were new experiences that none of us have had to deal with or manage before. If we were suffering before, lockdown 1, 2 and now 3 put a different slant on the difficulties we faced, for some things got easier for others and perhaps the majority these were damaging to our MH. For me lockdown 1 did the damage, release 1 came with the realization that hang on, I'm not nearly ok at all. Since then I've made lots of changes in an attempt to improve the way I feel. It feels like I had a beautiful temple at one time and its now been totally smashed, rebuilding it is going to take, well a very long time :)

The issue for me now, is that I want things to be so much better that they were before....but that is not so easy either... also don't be fooled whilst people might not say it or might not feel it in the same way we do, there are many of us that are finding things hard right now. As we have said many times before and too each other you are certainly not alone in the way you feel :)

Take care...

lol76

Postby lol76 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 pm

Thanks guys...good to hear from you both :)

epitaph

Postby epitaph » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 am

Lol76 you are most welcome.

For what its worth, I also feel lonely and yearn to speak to people as this as well as always being kind to others seems to greatly help my own well being....

Take care

lol76

Postby lol76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Hi epitaph,

I agree..ive tried to keep active on here and comment when I can because I know how isolating and lonely dealing with mental health can be. I seem to be going through another cross roads where I'm questioning my meds and support structure. Should I be bothering the doctor again or am I just wasting my time? Am I aswell as I can hope for or am I just so used to struggling that this is now the norm? It's so hard. It would really help to be under one professional who monitors and helps me but sadly the nhs doesnt work like that. I'm also kind of scared of speaking to my GP incase she just refers me back to secondary services which havent been that helpful in recent years for me. It's so scary...where do we go when we are struggling? Are we just given antidepressants and told to see a counsellor because that's all that is available for mental health? Sadly, I feel I've exhausted both measures yet still feeling very low and unwell. I know it's a horrible thing to say but sometimes I wish I had something more visible then I might not feel so alone. My head just doesnt seem to know to be kind when I feel like this. I feel so alone.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”