Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Being the weird one

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
samwamm

Being the weird one

Postby samwamm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm

I never fit in anywhere no matter how i tried.

I'm friendly and everything and i know how to talk but i just don't share the same interests as other people.

I can carry a conversation well but when the topic to my interests they have momentary interest and then get bored.

I find myself having to talk about what everyone else wants to talk about all the time and it bored me to the point where my mask starts slipping and they kinda just swan of somewhere else.

How annoying.

damian

Re: Being the weird one

Postby damian » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm

I've found that in life most people want to do the talking and are terrible at actually listening, even when they appear to be listening you can tell they're actually thinking about what they are going to say next. 9 times out of 10 in a group conversation it ends up being a bunch of people talking at each other but then if you asked them any questions later about what others have said they would've have a clue. Over time my role has become to sit back and to find it amusing how little people are actually listening to each other and occasionally I come across similar people within the group and end up naturally having a great conversation with them. It's not you, its them

c.j.

Postby c.j. » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 pm

What are your interests Sam?

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Something that seems to be useful is learning how to tell stories well. It doesn't matter so much about what you're talking about, if you learn to deliver them in a way that gets people really engaged. Lots of stuff on YouTube for that.

Also on the kindness thing, it's great that you're kind and can carry a conversation! But of course it takes more than that to be friends with someone - things like actively wanting to spend time together, keeping in touch, loyalty etc all factor in as well. x
RSxo <3

ericph

Postby ericph » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:52 pm

When you do the maths, we have two ears and one mouth, so it would be nice to think that some people will listen twice as much as they speak.

petersty

Postby petersty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:59 am

Being a person who currently lives in a room full of garden gnomes, and snuggles up to a stuffed elephant called Mr. Heffalump, I know a thing or two about being a weird person.

Return to “Diversity Room”