Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

ARE WE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT?

Ask, explore, query, share
hedgehog

ARE WE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT?

Postby hedgehog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:04 am

I assume that most of us read/participate in this Discussion Board because we feel, or at least hope, that here we will find people with similar experiences and similar problems who will be able to sympathise/empathise/support/advise. We assume/hope that we are all in the same boat.

But are we?

The nature of a Discussion Board like this is that it fosters the participation of a diversity of people who otherwise wouldn't have contact with each other or at least wouldn't communicate with each other much. Obstensibly this is a good thing. However I very much feel that this largely invisible diversity really means that we are not all in the same boat.

Yes, ofcourse, there are points where our experiences meet, e.g. inadequate help from mental health services. But there must be so much difference. And, although I know this will offend a lot of people, getting inadquate help from MH services when you are also homeless, is a totally different ballgame than when you are sitting in your comfortable flat with a fully paid up mortgage.

Elsewhere on this Discussion Board I've had a good old gripe about weight and the oppression overweight/obese people endure. But I realise now that my contributions were largely misplaced - on a Mental Health I could have expected that many people reading my posts won't understand/sympathise because they don't have the same political view that I have. Therefore this is one example where we are all definitely not in the same boat.

If the surface was well and truly scratched I'd bet a whole lot of other differences would explode - class, ethnicity, even good old gender.

So, which way are you rowing today?
Last edited by hedgehog on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ribena

Re: ARE WE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT?

Postby ribena » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Interesting post, hedgehog.

Don't have much time now, but I might post more later...

I think it's an interesting point you make about overweight people - I have the opposite problem, you see. I'm not underweight, but I am slim, and, at the risk of sounding supremely arrogant, pretty. This leads to people frequently not taking my problems very seriously. An ex-boyfriend even said he found the thought of my being depressed quite glamourous, as if I was lying around like Angelina Jolie every day looking beautiful and tragic when in fact I'm mostly lying around not washing very often.

Anyway, I hope I haven't come across like I'm a complete bitch, I need time to think about stuff and I just woke up so my brain is fuzzy

Cheers for an interesting post

firemonkey

Re: ARE WE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT?

Postby firemonkey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

[-----------------------
Last edited by firemonkey on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Information Exchange”