Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Diazepam

Ask, explore, query, share
alisontiz

Diazepam

Postby alisontiz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:23 am

Please does anyone have some useful information about Diazepam? I've had it prescribed for very many years but have never taken it as I'm meant to and sometimes go weeks and weeks without taking any. Occasionally I use it to help me get to sleep if I'm still awake at 3 or 4am. 15mg usually works for that. I know different people require different amounts of meds, but how much do other people genuinely take, for example to get to sleep quickly or to shut out an unbearable situation? I took 35mg yesterday when I was very sad, distressed, anxious, lonely etc. Is that what other people would do? Would they take more or less? I've never felt as though I was addicted to it. I just use it to suit my purposes. I do take other meds as well, but tend to take the prescribed daily amounts of those. I know Acorn and Christabel have said they are taking Diazepam af the moment but I haven't read of other people who take it I don't think. Is it something we are too ashamed to admit? If anyone's got information about how much is usually safe or when they take it and why, or just that they take it at all, I would be grateful to hear. I've just worked out that I was first prescribed it (in 10mg tablets) about 40 years ago. Alison

ooby

Re: Diazepam

Postby ooby » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

I have never been on it but from what I know it is a very addictive medication, and the aim nowadays is for it to be prescribed short term.

Here is a definitive manual on benzos http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

christabel

Postby christabel » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi alisontiz & ooby

I'm not on diazepam at the moment but a cpn told me to only take it when I really need it.
GPs are not keen on it long term. But if a person needs it to help them manage with life at times it is nothing to be ashamed of. I hope people don't feel that way.
It can be addictive though and have experienced when a GP would not give me my repeat forcing me not to take them. I don't want to get in that situation again so try to be careful with them.
I think being careful is best.

Take care xx

acorn

Postby acorn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 pm

Hello allison

I have been in diazepam on and off the past 4 years but I do not take it often only in extreme situations. I have been advised by my cpn that if the choice is self harm, suicide or diazepam then diazepam it is otherwise I should try to use my dbt skills to cope or call for support. I don't take as much as you, usually 10mgs and that makes me feel calm and woozy and a bit sleepy to take the edge off the emotion. I use them as sparingly as I can.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

MartynH

Postby MartynH » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:23 am

benzos are pretty addictive and an absolute bugger to get back off once you've used them chronically .

I think the suggestions of their use as a last resort is a good one .

Professionals are cautious becasue of the number of iatrogenic addicts created in the 60s and 70s when they were handed out willy- nilly ' mother's little helper'...

acorn

Postby acorn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Something else to bear in mind with diazepam, you grow a tolerance to it so the more you take it the more you will need. I have in the past needed 20mgs plus to get anywhere near the same sense of calm I get off 10mgs now after a year break of not taking it at all. I started on 5 mg the. 10 then 15 then 20 then back down to 10 again which is where I am now because after a break my tolerance went back down again so I think the amount you need depends on how long and how regularly you have been taking it. Occasionally is is quite a vague term do you mean once a week? Once a month? My 10 varies a lot it was twice in 2 days but before that not at all for 3 months.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

alisontiz

Postby alisontiz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 am

Hello all and thank you for your very helpful replies. Ooby, the links you have given are very useful; I will read them properly on my laptop tomorrow as it's not very easy on my phone. By the way, how are you and did anything come of your visit to the unfriendly building containing the strident lady? Have you been allowed to become supported by the Richmond Fellowship? Christabel...thank you for your contribution. I think it harsh of your GP to refuse to prescribe in order that you had no more tablets to take. Surely he should have talked to you about less-frequent use? Martyn, I, too, have heard how difficult it is to cease taking diazepam and I think that's why I have only used them when I feel a real need, rather than every day as prescribed. I went through a phase of taking 45mg per day for a while immediately before I went on sick leave from my job, however, I'm not aware that I found it difficult to reduce...and then stop...taking them. Now, as I said, I just take them when I feel I really need their help. Nevertheless, I've just decided that I won't use them to try to get to sleep any more...that certainly isn't an emergency situation. Acorn, thank you for adding your perspective. I'm glad you successfully reduced the dosage you need in a crisis. I'm also interested in how they help you...and glad that they do. I think your cpn's advice seems very sensible and it will be useful to remember. I think that about 18 months ago, or more, there was disquiet in the press about diazepam causing strokes. When I asked my GP about the safety of diazepam, he just said that I was taking lots of other medication that was far more dangerous! Not very helpful! Anyway, thank you to all of you. Perhaps our experiences will help others to decide how, or whether, to use their diazepam. And maybe some others will come along to add to this thread. Alison xx

Fertiv

Postby Fertiv » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 pm

An old thread i know, but I thought i'd add something.

I've had some issues with the prescribing of Diazepam.... the psychiatrist I saw privately prescribed Pregabalin rather than Diazepam as there was a much lower risk of addiction or dependency.
My GP has consistently tried to change me from PG to Dizz without any clear medical reason (only its what we normally prescribe for anxiety).
I suspect more likely that it is still a patented medicine and thus much more expensive.
I've found it helpful in the right doses, too much can turn you into a dozing ball of fuzz, to little leaves you stil anxious, you have to work at getting the precise point.

alisontiz

Postby alisontiz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Thank you fertiv, I take Pregabalin and Quetiapine a nd Venlafaxine as well as Diazepam. I certainly don't feel the need to take Diazepam as prescribed on daily basis. I must say that the Pregabalin was prescribed by myself my consultant psychiatrist and the diazepam was prescribed by myself GP. I've had them both on repeat prescription for at least two years, and the diazepam for about 40 years! I'm interested to know whether you take Pregabalin just in a crisis and, if so, how quickly and well it works for you. Wishing well, Alison

alisontiz

Postby alisontiz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello again. I am posting from my phone which seems to be playing tricks on me to the extent that my previous post makes no sense at all. Sorry! Please ignore the 'myselfs' which should read 'my'. Thank you, Alison

Return to “Information Exchange”