Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How to support my partner with mental health issues?

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
sdenii

How to support my partner with mental health issues?

Postby sdenii » Fri May 21, 2021 8:41 am

Hi. My name is Denisa. I am a third-year journalism student. My boyfriend suffers from depression and, I didn't receive any support at all from the GP, therapist. I have read a lot of studies on the lack of family support, and many of them say that the family of people with mental health problems has a high risk of developing one. Have any of you tried to get help from a therapist/family doctor for your partner/family member with mental health issues, and you have not received support? I'm working on my dissertation based on the lack of family support from the GP/therapists. Does anyone want to help me with a short interview? (Ten minutes)

beatricemom

Re: How to support my partner with mental health issues?

Postby beatricemom » Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 am

It's hard to be around a depressed person all the time. I tried to go to a psychologist. The doctor advised me to find my hobby, my own anti-stress, something that I can do in silence and which will distract me from negative thoughts. For me, one of those activities is to lie in a bubble bath. I tried different foams, it's very cool. By the way, now I have Deep Steep bubble bath with lavender scent. Thus, I get rid of the accumulated stress and negativity.
Last edited by ModeratingTeam on Fri May 21, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator to remove URL

brycekerns

Re: How to support my partner with mental health issues?

Postby brycekerns » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm

I suffer from pretty severe depression, but I am very self aware and can pull it together when I'm around other people. I'm not saying it's not noticeable at all, but I know what triggers the worst of it and can usually mitigate the effects for other people. I also see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly and just started a new treatment that is supposed to be super effective.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”