Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

help with diagnosis

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
socom

help with diagnosis

Postby socom » Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, 8th October 2018. I was working the previous day and the month after. Nothing happened but the psychiatrist diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia.

Mental state examination
The patient is a tall Asian gentleman who had medium length hair and was clean shaven.
He was well-kempt wearing a shirt and trousers. He had a file and bundle in front of him and
he was flipping through his papers in a disorganised way. He displayed significant pressure of
speech but no flight of ideas. His speech was coherent and relevant most of the time but it
was difficult keeping up with him due to his pressured speech. In terms of his mood, he
described it as fine. Objectively he appeared euthymic. He was reasonably pleasant and
cooperative throughout the assessment but disagreed with his previous diagnosis. He denied
experiencing any hallucinations and there was no obvious evidence of any delusional ideas
expressed. However, he appeared quite guarded, sensitive and rather dismissive of his
previous symptoms and previous concerns expressed by other professionals. In terms of
insight, he disagreed with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. He told me that he is going to sue
everyone who have made these allegations. He told me that the Police wanted to return his
hunting equipment but he denied taking it. He told me that he wants to get a Lawyer first. He
described Olanzapine as ‘murder’. He went on to say that the GP would ‘burn in hell’ and that
he Police have been harassing him and bullying him. He wants a full independent enquiry into
all this.
Relevant Investigations, diagnostic tests and result

Diagnosis – Differential diagnosis (if appropriate)
Paranoid Schizophrenia (ICD 10 Code: F20.0

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”