Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Advice please, my mum is really unwell

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
helpmymum

Advice please, my mum is really unwell

Postby helpmymum » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:18 pm

My Mum refuses treatment and makes being at home very stressful and we don’t know how to help her. My mother has been sick ever since I can remember (I’m 20 now), she has diagnosed severe anxiety. She has been receiving treatment in the form of CBT for years and she’s only got worse. When I was around 6 she had her first psychotic breakdown and was put on medication and did not speak for several weeks but she is no longer on medication. She has extreme paranoid delusions; she thinks many people in her life including myself are ‘played’ by multiple different people, this has affected her social life and work life. She also believes that people are out to get her and watching her, and that nearby schools are fake and put in place to watch her among other scary thoughts. She also definitely hears voices and then lashes out at those in the room.
She also often talks and argues to her self (or voices we are not sure) which can be quite distressing for her and the family. She spends a lot of her time sat laughing to herself hysterically.

Most recently this has effected her work place and they reported her to get help as she was being aggressive, rude and very obviously unwell. She began talking to doctors and allowed them to get into contact with other family members and the doctors informed us that she was clearly experiencing delusions but that as she is refusing treatment there is not much they can do. They said we could potentially attempt to section her but that as she isn’t directly harmful to herself or others it would be unlikely.

We are really unsure what to do and it makes being at home incredibly upsetting which has only been heightened with the pandemic. She is very aggressive verbally to us, and can be quite unpredictable with her mood and anything that triggers her so growing up around her has caused significant trauma to myself and siblings. We are constantly on edge around her and feel incredibly lost as to how to proceed as it’s causing the breakdown of my parents marriage which would ultimately leave her with a support system of her ageing parents who will fully don’t seem to recognise the severity of her situation and my siblings and I which I feel I am increasingly unable to provide.

I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation or has been in one and has any ideas of what to do?

epitaph

Re: Advice please, my mum is really unwell

Postby epitaph » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:27 pm

How awful for you and your siblings and frankly everyone!

I'm replying as I can see no one has, even though I don't have sufficient experience to really comment. I'd like to think that the Doctor would have informed social services if there are any children involved and from what you describe am amazed that your mum still manages to hold down a job at all. I'm also surprised that the doctor could not or did not recommend any medication.

My suggestion would be to create a new post on https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/
which has far more active users than this forum which is typically quite quiet. Hopefully there you might receive some better advice.

Take care!

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”