Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Is there a point???

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
phantom84

Is there a point???

Postby phantom84 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Hello everyone.

I never wrote a post in an online forum before, I always preferred to sort things out myself. But now it is different.

I am 36 yo gay male, originally from Eastern Europe. I am living 10 years in the UK now. All is legal with me from the very start in 2011.I was working and in the meantime I completed my studies here, got my MSc course here (Biology Sciences) in 2015. I did this because I wanted to integrate in the UK, I love this country. I think I was naive!

Now, six years later I am still in the UK and in the middle of nowhere in my life. I am working a restaurant job. It pays the bills they say, this is enough. There is something wrong, I cant figure out why. I am not successful in life. Is it because I am a foreigner? Is it because of my accent? I am putting a lot of effort to get a job in my field and contribute to the British society but in vain. All seems to be alright on the surface, people superficially are nice to me but in fact I feel I face a wall I can't break through.

Maybe I am too pessimist, but the Brexit vote in 2016 does not make things better. Feels like the UK doesn't want me to be part of it.

If someone is on the same boat, please answer. I feel that I have wasted 10 years of my life for nothing.

lol76

Re: Is there a point???

Postby lol76 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi Phantom84

Welcome aboard.

Im sorry you are feeling so isolated and as if you dont fit in. As a British citizen it makes me embarrassed to hear you feel you are not welcome. I congratulate you for your achievements and think you are very brave to try and build a better life for youself. None of us have any power over where we are born, personally I have felt blessed to be born with so many privileges in the UK but I understand not everybody has the luxuries and the opportunities that we have here. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and that is the beauty of our democracy but I am happy to have you here and I also wanted to stay in the EU. It shouldnt matter where any of us are from as we are all human beings with feelings, dreams and a life to lead. Please dont be too disheartened as I think things have been so uncertain for so long with Covid and Brexit that sadly the job opportunities simply arent there at the moment. Im struggling myself to find meaningful work and I know some of my friends feel the same too.

Keep hopeful my friend that things will start to get back to normal soon and I wish you luck in fulfilling your dreams.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”