Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

therapy

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
jamelweimann

therapy

Postby jamelweimann » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:05 am

hi all, I have been in therapy for 3 months and every time I go I feel awful. The therapist turns everything round on my mum and twists everything and I feel so sorry for my mum and overwhelmed with guilt. Has anyone else had this?

lol76

Re: therapy

Postby lol76 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:21 am

Hi
Yes! I was referred for long term group psychoanalytical therapy and from the very beginning I felt like she twisted everything I said and put words in my mouth. She mentioned attachment issues and kind of blamed my mum...I felt horrid and came away feeling worse. I stuck at it for about 14 months and was honest and said I didnt agree with what she was saying. In the end I left and now speak to another therapist who has a totally different perspective on things. I studied Psychology at degree level so I was familiar with what my first therapist was saying however, it felt to me she was making my issues fit the theory and wasnt truly listening to my objections or opinions. I understand counselling can be hard and upsetting but in my case it caused great distress and judgement. Thankfully, I am now much happier with my current therapist and feel more understood.

There is only you can decide how you feel about your current sessions as therapy can be very personal. My advice would be to explain how its making you feel as a good therapist should be able to support you and listen to you. If you feel this isnt the case please dont be afraid to try another therapist as its about finding the right suppprt that suits you. Good luck x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”