Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Anxiety and Depression stopping my artwork.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
angels-army

Anxiety and Depression stopping my artwork.

Postby angels-army » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi all, I am still currently trying to recover from: Anxiety and Depression and I would love to know how to stop them both from stealing my confidence, due to anxiety barriers as well as my motivation please? because I would love to start to draw and paint both animal and human female portraits again just like I did as a child and teenager due to being 36 years old now as I am a natural artist so I have been told by friends, family and even complete strangers!

It would be cool if a person who is also interested in drawing and painting who is or has also experienced both anxiety barriers as well as experiencing depression, which also stops them from wanting to do their artwork please? Many thanks.....

janus

Re: Anxiety and Depression stopping my artwork.

Postby janus » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi

I can't really help you with your question but I have done a couple of sessions of "Art Therapy" and on both occasions it moved me more deeply than anything I have ever felt.

I hope an artist comes along to help you with the barriers.

Loving Kindness
My Depressing Depression Blog :roll:

www.MADD365.com

c.j.

Postby c.j. » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:03 pm

I like to view women body art. My drawing is shocking though. Keep meaning to get into it but never do.

vates

Postby vates » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Yeah, sorry. I have only done art therapy myself but still do art. I enjoy it and it lets me express myself. The other women and my own anxiety stopped me going about four years ago. I tried to ignore negative comments that weren't related to the art we were doing but I couldn't. But a couple of them were amazing at art, really inspiring and the type of artwork that I would buy.

mazza77

Postby mazza77 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:23 pm

I get this feeling too. It is like there is an invisible wall up stopping creativity. Self doubt, and in my case PTSD stealing memories, ideas etc. It is weird that the mind causes this block. Wait for a sunny day, throw caution to the wind and create something. Or make it for someone, that gives you a reason. The hardest thing is not hating what you create afterwards or criticising too much. Take the pressure away, tell yourself it is ok. Good luck.

hibernatingbear

Postby hibernatingbear » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Hello I suffer from bipolar (including depressive episodes) and anxiety and have studied art at university. I still get blocks in my creativity due to mental health problems and I've found the best way of getting through them is to just draw, or paint without thinking about it and accept that the first few you will probably not like but you'll get through to something that has some merit and you can work on that. The only way to learn and improve with art is to keep doing it even if its once a week, as long as you keep making mistakes you will learn from them. Its like starting a sport you know you won't be the world's best at first, but after months or years who knows :D

So in summary if you keep trying even when you don't feel like it you'll get through to something good. Sometimes I think of it as "getting the crap out of the way": I just do a few doodly unfocused drawings to get used to it again, like warming up before exercising. Hope that helps in some way, enjoy your art.

Return to “Mutual Support Group”