Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Emotional resilience and the impact of its lack

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
gabry

Re: Emotional resilience and the impact of its lack

Postby gabry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:59 am

Hi andthistomustpass,
thanks for sharing this, your childhood sounds very like mine.
yes, you can accept it and move into the future - accept it's not your fault, either the way you were treated or the way you feel now.
it's a terrible burden to carry through life, the guilt and belief you're to blame.
take care,
sheila x

christabel

Postby christabel » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi a t t m p

Just to let you know I've read quite a bit. Amazing progress.

I'm sure it will be of help to others.

Sending best wishes. Take care. Chris

littleem

Postby littleem » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 am

Well hello there! :D

Good to see you posting on here!

You can be assured that you are definitely not talking to yourself here. ;) I will be listening/reading and following your progress!

Hope everything is as good as it can be with you.

Take it easy and have a good weekend.

LittleEm xx

littleem

Postby littleem » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 pm

:D Hey!

How are you?

Yeah, it is a shame they don't have a PM thing going on but at least you can keep me posted with your thread here!

Sorry about the hangover! Glad to hear you're doing 'great' though! That's really positive!

I'm okay. You know me... always putting one foot in front of the other!

Really pleased to see you here. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Look forward to hearing how you're doing soon.

Take it easy,

Em xxx

littleem

Postby littleem » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey friend :)

Hope you're doing okay.

Try take each day as it comes. Don't be too hard on yourself. Sofa days aren't the worst thing in the world. If you need them, go with it. There'll be more good days than bad and each good day is a victory. :)

As always, I think you're doing FAB. :) In fact, I've never actually ('virtually') met anyone quite as committed to their therapy as you, so keep going! The five-pronged approach sounds fantastic.

Keep us posted.

Much love,

Em xxx

MyAnxiety

Postby MyAnxiety » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi andthistoomustpass

Sorry to hear you have had a challenging time. Hold on to that last thought you had:
I'll hopefully feel better in the morning
I have found it incredibly helpful to think that way; to accept that some days are very hard, but that often I do find I feel better and more able to cope the next day, my personal challenge is then to avoid going to bed during the bad day to 'cope' but waiting until 8/9pm and then going to bed, trying to read a little and then importantly getting a decent nights sleep. That sets me up with a good chance of tomorrow being a better day. :) :)

Best wishes

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 am

Hi ATTMP

I've been reading through your diary. Browsing tbh as I need to go out soon. I'll continue following it for interest sake and in the hope of helping my MH which had been behaving but just had to come out to play again.

Wishing you well,
Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 am

Hi andthistoo

After 16 years I still can't accept fear. I can accept mental illness when it's very mild.

What I can accept is my inability to accept it. I'm not sure it's normal (albeit wonderful) to accept terrible anguish.

When we see people on TV who have been living in war zones for months they never say, well it's not nice but I can live with it.

Fear is horrible. This morning I've got fear of the fear.

This sounds silly but it helps me a little on semi awful days. I tell myself that I'm part of a huge community in the world who are suffering . We get through our days. We always will.

For me days of fear make me like a dog that's been abused. The kindest words do not take it away.

I really like your posts. Thank you

Deb x

littleem

Postby littleem » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Hey.

Some real positives showing in your post. Well done you.

Well done for continuing to try out new things. Any more laughter yoga lately? Well done for keeping on meeting new people and opening up. I'm so pleased the social anxiety is receding. Keep at it as you're doing great!

Sorry to hear you're struggling at work. Try and pick out the positives and what you achieve at each day at work. Sometimes, just getting there and coping through the day if you're not in a great frame of mind can be a massive victory. Anything else is a bonus! I bet you'll surprise yourself with how well you're doing so please try and go easy on yourself. How did your exams go afterwards?

As you know, me and my kidneys ain't no health guru, but please do make an appointment with your GP about your health and your foot. They're there to help you remember and you deserve that help.

Well done for starting to get through that to-do list! I had some good advice from my CPN today. She said for every time we do something we don't really want to do (but that we should do!), we should then reward ourselves for doing it. She gave the example of going to work. Perhaps some days we don't want to go but we go to have money to do what we want to do. She gave me this advice to put into practice with regards to drinking supplement drinks so for every time I drink a stupid drink (that is actually good for my body), I then do something I like to do, such as paint, phone my auntie for a chat, have a hot bath, watch a movie... Whatever! Perhaps try this for every time you do something on that list?

Don't worry about opening the book until you feel ready to do so. Otherwise it might not seem that beneficial if your mind isn't really engaged in it. You're already really focused on your therapy. Your commitment to this still continues to impress me!

Looking forward to your next post.

You take care of yourself xxx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:08 am

Hi andthistoo,

Obviously you've thought a lot on the aspect of processing fear. Have you discussed it with a counsellor because if it's possible I'd like to work at that. Certainly it'd be easier from our position than someone in a war torn country.

I read through your posts and it's good to see that you've come a long way from where you started. What age were you when you first became ill? I was fortunate. Although there was clearly something wrong with my head I was 41 before I had a massive breakdown.

Thanks to Isap I stick with the meditation now and that helps a little. I find mindfulness very difficult but I have met people whose lives have been transformed by it. I still hold on to the hope that I will 'crack' the mindfulness trick or at least make good strides.

Hope your weekend goes well, Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”