Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Antipsychotic weight gain

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
ooby

Antipsychotic weight gain

Postby ooby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 am

More than just increased appetite? Discussing this on another forum. Weight gain supposedly entails eating more calories than is needed to maintain body weight but the amount needed to maintain your weight increases the more you weigh. Therefore to continually put on weight as i have done(6 stone over 8 years) i need to have eaten a continually increasing amount of food. Yet i can't say i eat any more now i'm just over18 stone than i did when i was 16 stone.
That suggests to me that overeating is not the whole problem.
I tried dieting about 18 months ago and struggled to lose 0.5 lbs a week. The thought of having to diet at that rate for nearly 3 years to get to recommended weight was too much. Reasonable, not excessive, weight loss is about 2lbs a week.

Have heard others say that attempts to lose weight whilst on antipsychotics has been an uphill struggle. This raises the issue of what is worse increased psychiatric symptoms off meds or increased risk of physical problems due to weight gain on meds. Seems like it's a lose/lose situation either way . You'd think by now they'd have created a range of meds that avoided this problem.

Love

Re: Antipsychotic weight gain

Postby Love » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am

I have steadily gained weight since being on antipsychotics and I don't think I eat more. It's just one of those things for me, I have decided to let it be and try to be happy with my body image. I know it isn't as simple as that sometimes but I just wanted to let you know I also have this problem xxx

toxicmind1

Postby toxicmind1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:59 am

has what you ate changed ie are you eating more of one food group than another do you eat at regular times or nibble threw the day? when i was on antidepressants i had little or no appetite as for antipsychotics i cant comment as i was only on them briefly
what you see ain't what you Get its in your Mind its in Your head your paranoid paranoid in Hell

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm

toxicmind1 wrote:has what you ate changed ie are you eating more of one food group than another do you eat at regular times or nibble threw the day? when i was on antidepressants i had little or no appetite as for antipsychotics i cant comment as i was only on them briefly

Certainly don't eat at regular times but on the other hand don't nibble constantly. Guilty of having takeaways(mainly Chinese and pizza) but even when i stopped these weight loss was as described in previous post. Taking away the high calorie takeaways and given that even with them i was gaining very gradually(just under a lb a month) i would have expected a reasonable weight loss.

Since being mainly on ready meals am eating less fruit(though now buying 4 bags of frozen fruit salad a week) and veg but i now eat less chocolate and cakes etc than i used to. The thing is i don't think that increased appetite can totally explain things as it has not increased continuously over the years.

toxicmind1

Postby toxicmind1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

do you eat more or less when your mood changes would keeping a food diary help? was you more active in the past than you are now or is that the same?
what you see ain't what you Get its in your Mind its in Your head your paranoid paranoid in Hell

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

toxicmind1 wrote:do you eat more or less when your mood changes would keeping a food diary help? was you more active in the past than you are now or is that the same?

Even when i did a walking group a while back and got out a bit more i still put on weight. My lifestyle is very sedentary. Thought of getting an exercise bike but wouldn't know how to assemble it and no one close at hand to help.

Eat more when bored/empty or for comfort.
The funny thing is i eat less if i have company,which isn't very often.

NeverGiveUp22

Postby NeverGiveUp22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:01 pm

I think antipsychotics mess up the body's system in so many ways. Therefore the "normal" rules don't apply, which makes it so much harder to stop gaining weight or lose it again.

From what I've seen it is a side effect that doesn't bother psychiatrists so much, because the meds are keeping the psychiatric symptoms at bay. But at the same time they cause another set of problems which may initially seem not too dangerous, but the long term effects are a long list of physical illnesses associated with overweight.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this issue? Presumably there are nutritional suggestions which may help with the weight problem.

An exercise bike sounds like a good idea. Maybe there is a retailer who will deliver and set it up for you. I'm not sure how much assembly is necessary, but I can't imagine it would be much. There are various other exercise things available that are easy to use at home and don't need any assembly. Or perhaps a dvd workout would be worth a try.

Exercise really helps when one gets enough of it. I noticed a great improvement when I was exercising 6 days a week, even though I wasn't doing anything extremely strenuous and usually spent 30 minutes each day at it. The improvements can take quite some time to establish, but it's hard if one feels one is making no progress at all.

Sorry, my thoughts seem a bit dislocated. This is a really interesting topic though.

Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
~Samuel Beckett~

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

NeverGiveUp22 wrote:I think antipsychotics mess up the body's system in so many ways. Therefore the "normal" rules don't apply, which makes it so much harder to stop gaining weight or lose it again.

From what I've seen it is a side effect that doesn't bother psychiatrists so much, because the meds are keeping the psychiatric symptoms at bay. But at the same time they cause another set of problems which may initially seem not too dangerous, but the long term effects are a long list of physical illnesses associated with overweight.

So far BP and blood sugar come up ok on blood tests but cholesterol is slightly high . Am aware that things could get worse though. I think meds don't help but i don't dismiss illness related lack of drive/motivation as an additional issue. Psychiatrists never comment on the weight. Think they would be more likely to do so if i was losing drastically(suspect anorexia?)

NeverGiveUp22 wrote:Have you spoken to your doctor about this issue? Presumably there are nutritional suggestions which may help with the weight problem.

Not spoken to doctor. But saw nurse re cholesterol and she said losing weight would help(eat more fruit/veg and exercise). Biggest problem for me is disciplining myself over the 10 months or so it would take to sensibly lose the weight if i lost a reasonable amount per week. My self control isn't good.

NeverGiveUp22 wrote:An exercise bike sounds like a good idea. Maybe there is a retailer who will deliver and set it up for you. I'm not sure how much assembly is necessary, but I can't imagine it would be much. There are various other exercise things available that are easy to use at home and don't need any assembly. Or perhaps a dvd workout would be worth a try.

What kind of things are we talking about? I find it hard to keep up with dvd/tv workouts.

scotty1

Postby scotty1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Ooby,
I have a great deal of sympathy for you with this. I started an antipsychotic 9 months ago and gained 18lbs very quickly. Bearing in mind I run 3 times a week, then the exercise was making no difference at the time. I identified that I was hungry last thing at night especially when I could not sleep and I was eating lots of crisps and sweets.
But at the time I realised I had to deal with my mental health rather than physical side effects.

The good news is I did eventually take the bull by the horns and try to focus my energy on the trying to lose weight. Since 6th June I have lost 17lbs and feel so much better for it.

So I hope this can happen for you. But please don't despair the time needs to be right for you to do this. Starting with gentle exercise every day if you can. 8-)

craziememe

Postby craziememe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 pm

tim, I know how you feel I have put on six stone in the past seven years since starting on anti physcotics, more recently about a stone since I've been bak on the quetiapine the last few months. It doesn't help your mood and how you feel about yourself. I don't no what I'm trying to say, just that I get you and your not alone. Hope you feel better soon xx
Craziememe

Return to “Mutual Support Group”