Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Hello

If you're new and want to say hello...
soozy61

Hello

Postby soozy61 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:27 pm

Hello, My name is Sue. The last few months have been difficult so I have been looking for somewhere to 'meet' people going through a similar experience. I was diagnosed with a serious mental illness (Psychotic Depression) in December and spent some time in hospital. I am feeling much better and brighter but I feel isolated. My husband and sons have been amazing but I would like to share my thoughts and feelings with people going through the same thing.
x

lol76

Re: Hello

Postby lol76 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:11 am

Hiya

Sounds like you have had a rough time but Im glad to hear you are feeling better now and that you have supportive family. Ive been going through a long period of major depression and severe anxiety for about 3 years...but have been starting to feel better on and off over the last couple of months. Its an awful illness and hard to explain to people who dont suffer.

Welcome aboard x

soozy61

Postby soozy61 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for your message. I am so sorry to hear you have been struggling with this for 3 years but you sound as if you are experiencing some brighter moments. It is so difficult to explain to people around me how I am feeling even though they are trying very hard to help. I am also experiencing severe anxiety although my anxiety levels have dropped a bit which could be the medication and being at home again. How to you cope?

x

lol76

Postby lol76 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:38 am

Crikey, the honest answer is sometimes I really dont cope and Ive been trying to accept that its okay when Im not coping but it is very hard. I am very lucky I have supportive parents and brother...I also have lots of friends altho I wouldnt say they all totally understand but a couple do help me. I talk to a therapist regular and for the last year I have been chatting to a guy from my local Mind. He has suffered from depression so he totally gets it. Im hoping he can help me overcome my fear of going back to work and help me get a voluntary job I can enjoy at some point after Covid. I also run with a group but please dont think for one minute Im fit because Im really not! But I do get a high after our runs so I try to keep going to that. I also enjoy crafting and love making things. Im much better when Im out seeing friends and having a laugh so the last year has been hard to adjust to.

When Im really bad I sometimes go to bed and have a sleep, I used to feel guilty about it but now I think if it helps during difficult days then its okay. Some days getting up and making it downstairs is as much as I can face. When Im like that I try to be kinder to myself and do some selfcare like a nice long bath, or read a magazine. Somedays I feel I achieve nothing but Im learning to accept that its okay to just 'be.'

I also enjoy guided meditations and it gives me the chance to go lie on my bed and zone out for a while.

Ive learned that connecting with others who have or who are suffering are the best people to chat with so I use this forum quite a bit. I also read things on the Mind website and Im always interested to read about others experiences and coping strategies.

I cant really put my finger on one answer as to how I cope, it seems to a mixture of things that keep me afloat and when I feel like nothing is working thats when I reach out to my brother or therapist and have a good talk. I have a saying where 'I go back to basics' when Im really struggling. I break the day up into sections and just concentrate on half a day at a time and somehow I get through. The one thing I have really been trying to learn is to accept myself and be kind....but its really hard at times! Im very much a work in progress :lol:

Sorry if Ive rambled on and mentioned lots of things. I think the best thing we can do to help ourselves is to accept how we are. Theres still alot of stigma out there but things are getting better. We dont ask for our illness in the same way people dont ask for a physical illness. At the end of the day all we can do is our best.

Xx

soozy61

Postby soozy61 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi,
You are not rambling at all! Thank you for replying in such detail, you have given me plenty to think about. Your coping stategies sound really useful. I think your point about self-acceptance and self-compassion are so important and something I am not very good at! Also, I tend to think there was something I could have done to avoid this illness but I realise that is not the case. You end on such a positive note, I found your post uplifting. I'm glad you have plenty of support becuase I think it's so important and you are right, we can only do our best.
xx

Return to “Newbies Room”