Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Finding like-minded people

If you're new and want to say hello...
jonic

Finding like-minded people

Postby jonic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am nervous writing this post as my mental health issues relate to feeling disconnected and not being accepted socially. But new year and all that! I struggle with very low self esteem and anxiety and it has a negative impact on my friendships and social life. I come across as a bit cold or stand offish but really I’m just like everyone else and want to find true human connection. It feels very lonely and quite scary and no-one around me seems to understand. I just want to feel part of something and feel cared for. I just don’t think I’m worth it and have had plenty of rejection to back that up.

Does anyone else feel like this and what do you do to tackle it?

Thanks x

lol76

Re: Finding like-minded people

Postby lol76 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:16 am

Oh yes! My self esteem can hit the floor, confidence can hit the floor, ability to cope can hit the floor. Wish I could give you a straight forward answer but think its a combination of things which Im still trying to find aswell. Best advice given to me was self compassion and kindness, reaching out, lots of therapy and talking and learning to accept myself and believe I am good enough. You too are very worthy and I hope you find the right things that work for you. Try to get involved with things that really matter to you then hopefully some meaningful connections will start to grow.

jonic

Postby jonic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Thank you for replying, that alone has made my day :) I have a nice therapist who is doing his best to teach me compassionate thinking and I will give it a go. I think in a world that values extroverts and places so much focus on appearances/social media, it can be hard to feel heard and valued. However, I’m sure lots of people feel the same and it is comforting when others are honest about it. Thank you for your advice and I hope you are doing ok too.

lol76

Postby lol76 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 am

I very much agree with you. Too much emphasis on ' living the dream' and looking the part these days. I struggle all the time and think I dont fit in or not good enough but like you Im working with a nice therapist and trying hard. I wish there was more honesty in the world but sadly we all seem to feel the same pressures but are scared to admit we are struggling. I havent ended up in life where I thought I would be at the age of 44, my tick list certainly didnt go to plan. I just keep trying my best and aim to be a good person. One day at a time :)

jonic

Postby jonic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 am

It would be amazing if everyone was honest for a day...I bet it would take so much pressure off people!

No-one lives the life their younger self has imagined, because you grow and things change. There is always time for a new adventure or skill which will enrich your life. Maybe not so much right now but hopefully soon!! 44 is young and you are tackling your issues which a lot of people avoid all their lives.

Keep being a good person, lots of people value that :D

lol76

Postby lol76 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 am

Thank you :D

flossy

Postby flossy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi to both of you , I have just joined and I can relate to you both about having no confidence and having depression and anxiety I do to have little confidence depending on my days with diagnosed with a mood disorder if am feeling very low my confidence goes but then I get my good days and my confidence is a little better all’s I can say is try and talk to people which you are doing I also go on walks with nature which also helps with the lockdown I think it’s hard enough without depression I am lucky I have family but not anyone who understands my depression till no that’s why I joined here just keep chatting here if you both need a chat flossy

flossy

Postby flossy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:22 pm

I think we’re all worth it like you are take care

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Welcome! Let me know if you need any help getting around the forum :)
RSxo <3

Return to “Newbies Room”