SANE Support Forum

Introduction

If you're new and want to say hello...
alittlebitflat

Introduction

Postby alittlebitflat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Hello,

It was great to find a support group.

I’m in my 40s and wonder if anyone else is a similar age?

georgegibson

Re: Introduction

Postby georgegibson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:47 am

Welcome to the community!! It's nice to know you @alittlebitflat.
Regards - GG

greenhawkgirl

Postby greenhawkgirl » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:45 pm

I am (although my username probably suggests otherwise!)

I'm new here, just navigating things, wondering whether using this will provide any support. I've just taken the scary step of contacting a few therapists whose details I have found online. I feel like I need help now and can't wait for counselling/cbt through the nhs. It's not cheap though...

I have depression and anxiety. Those aren't my only characteristics but when I'm going through a difficult time (like now) they can feel pretty overwhelming. I haven't been well enough to work this week. I'm finding working from home really, really hard. I don't know whether I can blame the pandemic for my latest downward spiral but it's certainly not helped.

Sorry - got a bit carried away there telling my story. Hope you're ok.

lol76

Postby lol76 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi Im new here and just wanted to post a hello! Ive been stuck in a severe episode of depression and anxiety for last 2 years, to say ive been struggling is an understatement. It would be good to connect with people who really understand and empathise. :)

alittlebitflat

Postby alittlebitflat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:52 am

Hi,

Thank you for replying folks. I would wish feeling down on anyone but also nice to have friends here.
George hi- lovely friendly hello :) . Thanks also for everyone saying hi.

Green hawk I agree, nhs therapist waiting lists are long and private ones can be expensive. Some I’m seeing 50- 100 pounds a week And all booked up (so we’re definitely not alone!). Lol I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling this too. You’re not alone.

My situation is I came from a background With family members whereby you just get on with it, but I have always struggled with just feeling flat. Sometimes this verges in to full on depression but I have strategies to help try and avoid this. It’s like living in a cloud. Yet I could never voice this in real life as it, I think, would appear indulgent. I have lots to be thankful for. Also have a stressful job and was pushed to be probably more high achieving than my anxiety can cope with.

Green hawk I understand pandemic and working from home has been challenging. Please don’t apologise thanks for sharing.
I don’t know about you but to reveal how I feel in daily life brings others down and appears self indulgent. I think when I was a teen I experimented with ways to help my mood and these days unfortunately during lockdown carbs helped but I also used to love running - knees didn’t. All ways I think I tried to life the fog. I’m not that bad so partly feel like a fraud being here. I guess I have just the lethargy and disinterest that has been bubbling even more during lock down.

Thanks for sharing.

alittlebitflat

Postby alittlebitflat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:53 am

Wouldn’t not would wish this job anyone - obviously my attention to detail has faded too.

lol76

Postby lol76 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:50 pm

You are so right there...I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. I have done all the usual NHS waiting lists and have also dabbled in some private treatments. Up until 2 years ago I always seem to manage it and keep going work wise but sadly this episode has meant ive lost my job. Im lucky i hav fantastic family but obvs I want to get back to work and feel better than I do mow. I have lots of nice friends who all think im the life and soul but sadly most of that is a mask. I work hard at getting out there and trying new hobbies but not much is helping at the moment. Lets try and help each other to accept each other no matter what stage we are all at...im sure we all agree its an absolutely awful place to be when struggling mentally.

I want to send you all a virtual hug and big smile so that none of us feel alone :D :D

ceh51

Postby ceh51 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Afternoon all,
Certainly agree, after making first step of contacting NHS following sessions via work I’m now on the waiting list for CBT.
It’s all come to a huge head family wise where my husband has decided enough is enough and I’ve pushed him so far away he doesn’t want to come back :-( he wants to help but doesn’t see our future which really does not help at the minute.
I’ve been diagnosed with PTSD following huge birth trauma 5 years ago it was never dealt with and obviously got worse and worse. I’ve a highly stressful job that I’ve thrown myself into at everyone else’s expense. Now I’m feeling very hurt lost and ashamed. So I figured rather than google self help groups might be worth a try.

lol76

Postby lol76 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 pm

My heart goes out to you, I think you have been through a lot with your birth trauma and that is not your fault! You deserve some proper help to get over your trauma then who knows what could happen with your relationship in the future. For now be very kind to yourself

ceh51

Postby ceh51 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Thank you ❤️ I think learning to be kind to myself is half the battle x

Return to “Newbies Room”