Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Smoking through illness?

Sometimes you just need to let off steam...
thenewkgb

Smoking through illness?

Postby thenewkgb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi rant board

I didn't see this question appropriate in other rooms.

I've been smoking heavily for 6 months since I was in hospital for my condition. Smoking seemed to help but now I'm finding it causing more and more problems with my body. I took a break from smoking for 2 years but illness and smoking seemed to go.

Anyone else like going outside and having a puff? I'm smoking around 20 a day.

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: Smoking through illness?

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Er Smokers like it

Or what they really like is getting rid of the withdrawal symptoms

Then it also gives you something to do and look forward to
And there is then also a social side often - hanging around outside in a huddle

Why did you start again and why are you sticking with it if it is making you feel a bit crap as opposed to long term harm

I would not worry to much about it your MH issues are probably more of an issue
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

maisi

Postby maisi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Have you tried vapes?

God I remember all the smokers when I was visiting someone in a psychiatric hospital- it seemed like part of the culture. Is it boredom?

thenewkgb

Postby thenewkgb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't know why I started again. I smoked a couple of cigarettes before I ended up in hospital and I kept on buying more pouches. Yes I do have a vape. Quite tricky to continue using I've found. Yes, half the cigarettes are due to boredom. I see the 3 minutes I get with a cigarette somehow truimph over the 30 years of poor breathing I'll experience when I'm older. [edit] moan, moan :lol:

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 pm

So do you want to keep on smoking or not
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

thenewkgb

Postby thenewkgb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:04 am

Sorry upwards. So kind you reminded me.
Yes I do eventually want to give up. Smoking long term just makes me feel so crap. I've had pains appear over my body. It'll only get worse as the years go on.
I'm talking to a Quit Helper. I've ordered some e-cigarettes online and they are being delivered today. Vaping never helped. Maybe it was the liquid I used. Even the high strength nicotine never took away the wanting for a cigarette. I have purchased a different liquid now. A different brand for my machine, so perhaps that can be of some use. Vaping for me has tasted like ass.
The Quit Guy mentioned about a 'quit date'. I gave myself 3 days until my tobacco pouch ran out. That was foolish. I then gave myself 2 dates. The end of November for positive thinking, but December more sensibly. It's not easy coming off smoking for me. Stopping right now would be great, but I would miss it unfortunately.

upwards-is-the-aim

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is

Vaping does not get rid of the withdrawal symptoms from that but just stops you inhaling all the crap that do your lungs in over time
So then you just end up craving vaping

The only way to get off the cigs/nictonine is to quit

Some find a one off hit is the best way
Other cut down first and then quit

And then when you quit that is it - done
Done
Done

I remember years ago when I was a youngster this guy telling me that the first ten years after he quit were the hardest - wtf - I was not even 18 at the time

So quit and done

Do it when the time is right but then accept the full blow and take it
Be bigger than it

thenewkgb

Postby thenewkgb » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:07 pm

I WANNA CIGGY! :roll: That's want my tantrum says.
It's my right to smoke, I should smoke all my life! :cry:

And in the meantime smoke enters every part of my body including my eyes and fingers and hair and I worry I'll be crippled because of it.

Smoking! yey! :D

thenewkgb

Postby thenewkgb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Alright, it's not so glamorous :oops:

thenewkgb

Postby thenewkgb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:00 am

I have found a nicotine replacement which seems to work. Lozenges can be put under the tongue which removes my craving for a cigarette. The gum I tried many times made me feel like being sick.
I smoked 11 today :)

Return to “Rant Room”