Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Why do I feel the need to hide?

Ask, explore, query, share
sane123

Why do I feel the need to hide?

Postby sane123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Can anyone explain why I find it so difficult to see friends and family? I am married with children and fine with them but I work from home and spend the majority of my time alone. I am happy with this and very much enjoy my own company. I do often wish I was one of those people with a big network of friends and family though and a healthy, busy active social life as I know that a support network is very important and locking yourself away is not healthy. I just panic at the thought of having to see people. I dont think anyone that knows me would EVER guess this. I come across as bubbly, happy outgoing, caring and friendly but when my friends text me to ask to get together I freeze. I genuinely just wish everyone would leave me alone but I know I would just end up v lonely. Why do I feel this way? I have v nice friends I promise! I just feel I dont have anything to say to them, I also feel that I can deal with feeling low when I am on my own but it takes so much energy to hide it from others that I would rather not see people. I would love to hear from anyome that has felt the same and found a really effective way to get past it.

Amelie

Re: Why do I feel the need to hide?

Postby Amelie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi there- it sounds like you're suffering with social anxiety- many people suffer with this in silence but there is help out there in the form of CBT - which can really help. Social anxiety doesn't tend to get better without treatment and just putting yourself in more situations won't help on its own. You can access CBT for free through your local NHS IAPT service x

mihaela

Re: Why do I feel the need to hide?

Postby mihaela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I feel like this a lot, but not as much as I did years ago. With me, it's all part of being on the autism spectrum. I was diagnosed late, only a few years ago, and it came as a great relief to understand why I was so different to most. Social anxiety is caused by extreme sensitivities inherent in autism. You may have undiagnosed autism too, but it's important to realise that the female presentation is usually quite different from classic (male-type) Asperger's.

Return to “Information Exchange”