Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

A fresh one for you.

If you're new and want to say hello...
shumba

A fresh one for you.

Postby shumba » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 am

Hi everyone,

In my mid forties, married Dad of three. Full time professional with dreams and aspirations. So why should there be anything wrong with me? It was all a slow progression to where I am now.
Thankfully I was forced to see my GP by my good wife. This was after curling up in a ball in a deep emotional state on a couple of occasions. Along with some very worrying thoughts, which I finally admitted to having.

Less than a month ago I was diagnosed with Moderate depression. I am at present taking medication. This wasn't a choice I made lightly. Its allowed me to free my mind, however I am very concerned about the next move. I am not a great reader and find it difficult to digest details from reference books. I have been reading 'Feeling Great'. That's helped me through the first stages to understand some elements of how my mind can work, very useful for the workplace when I can feel my mood swaying. But where next though?

I have searched online and it seems like a minefield. I feel like I should be talking to someone to get me through the next stages. My GP gave me a number of a local support group but that fills me with fear of sitting in a circle pouring my heart out. But If I don't talk, don't listen, don't attempt to understand further then surely when I come off the pills, the inevitable will happen? My coping mechanism could fail....would fail....might fail...I don't know. So the next step?

Your thoughts and help appreciated. Happy New Year, I want 2018 to be a good one. :D

amaya

Re: A fresh one for you.

Postby amaya » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

What is the local support group? Is it therapy of some kind?

You could try going back to the doctor and asking for some more support. If you are struggling maybe it would be nice if the responsibility to sort it all out wasn't sitting entirely on your own shoulders.

Mind are also a charity that can be supportive in many different ways and there national website is very helpful. You could give your most local branch a ring and see if they have ideas.

shumba

Postby shumba » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 am

Thankyou. I have another appointment with my GP in the morning. I will see what his suggestions are and take it from there. He might have some different ideas on support.

teamn

Postby teamn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:30 pm

I hope your GP offers some useful alternatives for you, as far too many people are left to cope alone and to manage structuring support for themselves. Fingers crossed

shumba

Postby shumba » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi, I went to my GP. He seems pretty satisfied that I am coping well. However no words of advice of where to go from here. The discussion was about my medication. How long I should remain on the tablets, approx. 6 months. Then what can happen when I come off them. Also advised no shame in taking them long term if they are required.

I have been reading, in fact that's how I have come to be on here by doing research. Been reading the ' feeling great' book. So I understand how to monitor and think about how I am thinking.

Right now, I think I am kind of ok. With a few minor lows and feeling very tired. Not sleeping so great. Concerned though that there is something else I should be doing in preparation for not being chemically reliant. I know there is no magic wand and its about finding a coping mechanism. But its where to turn to, if I even need to. Do I just wait and see what happens?

teamn

Postby teamn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am

noy sure how to anser yir question sor if I even have an answer...

Concerned though that there is something else I should be doing in preparation for not being chemically reliant. I know there is no magic wand and its about finding a coping mechanism. But its where to turn to, if I even need to. Do I just wait and see what happens?[/quote]

its definitely about finding coping mechanism, and that will be individual to you, some things work for some, and other things work for others, hence why there such an array of things out there about self help. and obviously some things work for a while, then you have to switch it up or do a combination of things, with mental health I feel its a new way of finding out what works for us, its a ne journey your on, so some of yiur ol coping mechanisms will not work aswell, or some may work better, its baoit possibly changing lifestyle, changing priories.

you say your a reader, and just now the book 10 second Philosophy popped into my mind, have you read that?

that talks abut an ambitious, motivated dad being (what he now realised)depressed, based on hard work and lack of time spent with family and not having the finances he required, and then changing his situation by changing priorities. Its a good and short book, if you like to read may be something you may look at and see if there any points you can use.
I think I would say though, don't rush the process, I am ambitious and very self critiquing, and that only works in work and other elements of life that you can control, you cant control mental health as its an illness, just like any illness , we have to be patient, look after your self and not treat it as an objective that we have to list points and actions down to achieve the outcome. it works differet, going about it in a methodical way can sometimes hinder or backtrack the recovery process.

so I'm sorry, I never answered a single question, butt hope it helps none the less,

shumba

Postby shumba » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:20 am

Hi,
You say you didn't answer any questions, well actually that's not entirely true. What you have done is provide me with some snippets of details for further investigation and exploration.

This not only includes something else to read, but also highlighting the fact of not having a timetable of events, be more adhoc. Be prepared to have to cope, not in a methodical way. Adapting to my mindset.

I guess I need to keep talking, be honest about my thoughts and with some care and attention live and deal with it. In the hope of course, one day I can just be me!

Thank you for your words and thoughts.

Return to “Newbies Room”