Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How are things progressing Isap

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
amaya

Re: How are things progressing Isap

Postby amaya » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

The warden sounds horrible and annoying.

Did the lawyer have any idea how much longer it would be? Do you expect to hear something in early January?

How are you able to pay someone? I feel a bit clueless here, but how do you have access to your finances whilst you are in prison in another country?

I hope the typhoon won't cause too many problems and that the water situation sorts itself out. Not being able to wash much be horrible.

I also really hope that you get your new phone and headphones soon. Glad you are able to make okay relationships with some of the people around you. I would think in a place like that the inmates really need to support each other a lot.

Are you still doing your yoga everyday? Managing to get out for walks?

What is your favourite kind of music, or do you listen to a lot of different things?

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:58 am

Hi Amaya

Thanks for your nice message.

I do a 30 minute yoga session every day, can't say I enjoy it though.

My Jehovah Witness pastor is Japanese. My Japanese wife sends money to his Japan account and he brings into me in local currency. Otherwise you have to send by approved private courier and only in small amounts.

My lawyer has no idea when things will be resolved.

Hope to get headphones today and the rest tomorrow but you can take nothing for granted here.

Had sun this morning so did weekly washing before it started raining again. Got water delivery so can have shower later.

The locals form little cliques with others in same cell and eat together. They get family visits too allowed inside the cells so support not a problem for them.

Being a foreigner is tough. Of the 20, there's only 2 I ever talk to. One is my cellmate so have no choice. Other an American. Some of them are career criminals with no conscience. So no real support from anyone, its just important to connect with other humans whoever they are even just a simple greeting.

Music a problem. I can't listen to what I used to like because brings back too many memories so only neutral stuff now, mainly jazz classical and bossa nova.

Isap xx

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Isap

I hope you managed to get your shower and your headphones.

Although shared language is so very important I think someone's manner can make a massive difference. I'm not at all sure how I'd fare in your situation - probably get walked all over - but I'm never intimidating and wouldn't want to be. I'm always amazed at the number of people who will get into arguments with neighbours because of their rights. Their lives end up much harder because they wouldn't give a little.

Lately I've been asking everyone if they've heard of J J Cale, an American guitarist, singer /songwriter. I'd forgotten him for years but came across him again recently and found a CD of hisfor£4. So far I've only come across one guy plus the sales chap in HMV who thinks he's great. So Amaya, Isap and anyone else, have you heard of him?

I imagine Christmas in prison will be very unpleasant Isap. I'm sure you know that in the UK it's a miserable time for plenty of people. I've mixed feelings about it and will be glad when it's all by.

I hope you get your new phone very soon.

Take care, Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:47 am

Hi Debs

Im using my new phone ànd headphones now! Its really big so have to hold in both hands but no complaints. Smuggled it in, very nervy with guard post in front of cell.

Actually, being unintimidating and humble is the best way to be here. I keep my mouth shut and try not to speak iill of anyone. I dont talk unnecessarily to people I dont like. Consequently I have no enemies. I smile when teased.

Yep J.J. Cale is one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time. Im not sure I could listen to blues right now though.

Xmas here will indeed be miserable with hundreds of visitors with brat kids for the local inmates, carrying gifts and food and nothing for me but I dont really care, Im glad that Jehovahs Witnesses dont celebrate it. 4th Xmas behind bars. Im aware Xmas is a miserable time for many people.

This is off topic but my cellmate persuaded me to download a Tarot card app and it freaked me out. Card said "no motivation no focus no ambition" which was spot on. Today it was nowhere close (greedy etc.) and I deleted the app. I dont know or care if theres anything in it, its definitely runs counter to bible principles and Im not into that kind of stuff anyway. My JW pastor wluld not be happy if he knew I used it.

Trying to read a John Grisham book, my concentration is very bad so tough going.

Isap xx

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 am

Victor Frankl's book is interesting. It really underlines that in the modern world folks are looking for meaning and though perhaps directed as prose to professionals its got enough about it that I think everyone ought to read it.

Isap, sorry Ive been quiet for a long while. How long do you have left of your sentence?

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Mezza

Nice to hear from you again.

Thats the problem, I havent been sentenced. Just languishing. And praying.

I read Victor Frankls book, I guess you noticed on the first page of thizs long thread.

Best wishes

Isap

amaya

Postby amaya » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Hiya :)

Do you find that the yoga benefits you even though you aren't enjoying it so much?

So pleased you have that contact with your wife through the Jehovah Witness :) It must be so hard to be apart from each other.

It sucks that your lawyer can't give you any idea about time.

Really pleased to read you have your phone and headphones :)

So pleased you have some water again. I would not deal with it as calmly as you seem to there.

I imagine that it is even tougher when you see some others having that family time. If everyone is equally in the same problem it seems somehow easier to deal with. But you have it much harder than those around you from what you say and that is tough. Is your cellmate also from the UK? Is the American nice or one of the not nice ones?

When I was in the hospital the hardest thing at first was not seeing a single face that I recognised. Of course after a time you become familiar with the faces around you, but I won't forget how horrible that was and so I am sending you a *hug*.

"Music a problem. I can't listen to what I used to like because brings back too many memories"
I have this same problem with so much music that I used to listen to without a problem due to my PTSD. Why is it hard for you?

"Actually, being unintimidating and humble is the best way to be here. I keep my mouth shut and try not to speak iill of anyone. I dont talk unnecessarily to people I dont like. Consequently I have no enemies. I smile when teased."
I think this is a very brave approach. I am sure I would get angry and get myself into all sorts of trouble in jail.

How can it be that someone is locked up for more than four years without a trial?

Tarot cards are indeed a lot of nonsense, but don't feel bad for looking, you were just looking.

I hope there has been one good thing in your day today at least.

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Isap

Glad you've got your.new phone now. For all of us phones are so important, for you they're a lifeline.

Pleased to see you know J J Cale. I find that even though I'm not in your awful situation I have to avoid some music. Given that music sets out to bring about certain emotions it's not surprising that some stuff is best avoided.

My mum once bought me some tarot cards but I got rid of them. I feel very uneasy about this sort of stuff. I would rather not look at what will be. What is can be tough enough.

By and large presents at Christmas have very little meaning for me. Everyone buys for those who will buy for them. So it was nice for me today when a guy at work gave me a pressy cos he'd seen it and thought I would like it. You mentioned in a thread the fact that Christians nicked a Pagan festival. Now that Christmas is a massive consumer event I think it should be handed over as a non religious big party. Christmas carols and the Christian message could adopt a day in Summer when the weather would be a bit better.

Take care, Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:52 am

Hi Amaya and Debs

Thanks for your support. This is the time of year that eople get so busy with their stuff that prisoners can feel totally forgotten.

I learnt yesterday that Dutch in New York introduced Saint Nicklaas at Xmas time and Santa Claus is a corruption of that spelling and pronunciation.

It gets very noisy and lively here with families visiting and cells holding parties. Strong alcohol gets inside but it just makes me feel even worse.

New phone is holding up but connectivity can be bad. Crap telecom company.

Cellmate got a speaker inside and plays awful techno. It could be worse, he knows I am oversensitive to noise so usually has it at palatable volume. He sleeps to audio books which are a bit loud sometimes. I often wish he wasnt here but the chances of getting someone even worse would be very high. You cant choose your companions in jail.

Isap xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Damn it I didnt think Id need to rant again so soon. I complained before abouty brother who has a goodd job at the FCO. He justt took it upon himself to call the embassy to ask what will happen after my release. He surprisede by saying he would speak to the British consul but instead spoke to one of the horrid local consulate staff. She has hardly helped or visited simce I arrived here yet keeps pestering for documents relating to my case., and I was ignoring her request. I have no idea when I will get released and can only survive by stayinh on the moment. So I was furjois at him which is unlike me, am also going down with anotjef cold flu thing so feel totally crap. Hate to say this, but he only cares aboit alleviating my mothers worry, she thinks I am in hospital in Japan.

Isap

Return to “Mutual Support Group”