Mindfulness

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness
Isap

Re: Mindfulness

Postby Isap » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 am

http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations

More good free mindfulness audio

I'd like to check out stuff on You Tube but can't afford the data

The good thing with audio is that you just listen with your eyes closed anyway and follow the instructions as best you can

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi Isap,

I find visualisation meditation doesn't work for me. I once did one where I went on a balloon ride. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I decided to take my dog the next time. It was awful! She kept jumping up the side to look and I was terrified she'd fall out.

I did a body scan today of 14 minutes. I'm aware that I haven't fully committed to the process and this in part is due to my confusion re. the whole mindfulness thing. It was two years ago when I did the mindfulness course and I don't recall the priorities. Is daily meditation the most important and does that lead to us thinking mindfully? I'd got it in my head that doling things mindfully was the most important. I do know that it's crucial I do this as my anxiety is really spoiling my life.

From all I've read on here you're the one who understands meditation and mindfulness most.

Debs xx

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 am

Hi Debs

The daily meditation practice is essential until you start thinking mindfully and can keep it up over a long period. I don't do a practice daily anymore although I probably should.

I agree with you about visualisation, I don't do either. That's why a simple breathing meditation with simple instructions to follow is easiest and best

I used to do 20 minute ones but its tough when you're anxious, 10 minutes will do it and even shorter.

Isap

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks Isap. I have a very good breathing meditation that I used a couple of years ago. The man's voice is incredibly relaxing.

Debs xx

amaya

Postby amaya » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am

As far as I understand it the whole point of mindfulness is to become the accepting observer of what is, internally and externally. Non judging acceptance. The precise tool you use to enable you to do that differs from person to person, but in my view anything over complicated.. anything that takes you away from reality in anyway is a different kind of meditation from mindfulness. Mindfulness doesn't have any goals, like relaxation. It often happens as a by product.. but if you are not relaxed the important thing is to observe it, recognise how you are in that moment, accept it, not judge it.. and use your breath as an anchor. That way you won't get lost in analysing, thinking about the future or the past. Just accept whatever there is and let it come, let it go.

On a personal note, I haven't managed to meditate once this week because almost the whole entire time I have been on the edge of a crisis and I haven't felt like it was wise to sit formally with those feelings. Hoping to get back to it when my level of emotional arousal is reduced. There has been too much going on to process.

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Amaya

Totally agree with you. Any kind of meditation while in a crisis is unlikely to have any value.
I managed a 10 minute one yesterday but have a lot of noise to contend with.

I also find it very boring which doesn't help.

Isap xx

amaya

Postby amaya » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:00 am

I once heard Jon Kabat-Zinn say in a video on YouTube that if you are getting bored of focus on the breath try holding it for as long as you can. Breathing soon stops feeling boring haha

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:54 pm

I wanted to add that simple yoga is more doable when feeling crap than a meditation session. I have this routine I got off an app where you're lying on your back the whole time. I'm sure You Tube has many simple and short routines. The breathing is essentially the same as you'd do for meditation.

tll

Postby tll » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi all,

Thank you so much amaya for this great post. Really interesting and useful to have links that people have tried and tested!

I've heard so many positive things about mindfulness, but so far I'm quite new to it all and so don't often practice (whoops!).

Aside from some shorter meditations, are there other things people found was useful to do or practice when first starting out?

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi Amaya

Just reading through your thread. Do you feel mindfulness helps you on the whole? I know you practice it and so I presume you find benefits.

Deb x

Return to “Mutual Support Group”