Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Depression and Impotece

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...

Depression and Impotece

Postby devonrichards » Wed May 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here. I am a nurse and my husband is struggling with depression. He was diagnosed with depression last year by a psychiatrist. At first it was anxiety attacks, but none of the prescribed medications seemed to be working for him. After 4 months of the frequent anxiety attacks, probably once every 2 weeks or so, I noticed a change in his personality. He talked less and he almost always didn't have a motivation to do anything anymore. Yes, he goes to work, but sometimes I have to push him just to take care of himself, like taking a bath and all that.
With regards to our sex life, it has been tragic. We have consulted this with his doctors, and he was prescribed with erectile dysfunction drugs as additional medications he was taking for the depression. I get his medications from treated(dot)com, a trusted online pharmacy so that I can lessen on the cost and I can get his medications delivered at our doorstep within 24 hours. It has worked for 3 months but the depression is still slightly there. He talks about his problems already, but there are times when he just seems very withdrawn.
Has anyone experienced the same thing? Please advice. Thank you!

Re: Depression and Impotece

Postby deb1960 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:47 am

With regards to impotence, some classes of anti depressants can cause that. If you read up on your husbands meds it should tell you. Although mental illness itself can take away any interest in sex.

Postby strangeangle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 pm

I'd second that some anti-depressants can cause various sexual issues. MH issues can cause the same and of course the dreaded performance anxiety. For me it fell into the latter and not a physical erectile issue. Though getting up and staying up because of anxiety have meant I sometimes taken erectile dysfunction meds. I have found that the enjoyment and sensation aren't the same personally. I also felt guilty I didn't have my previous desire. I would perform just because I felt I should. Vicious circle back to guilt and anxiety.

This was a slope over the last six years and I wasn't a me to talk openly and honestly as I had my masculine pride getting in the way:-) But I was able to talk eventually and it did help. Are you able to talk really openly together? I know it can be difficult for both parties.

On the subject of keeping costs down. If your gp is happy to prescribe you might be better with a NHS prepayment card. If you google that you can see if your husband would spend less that way.

Hope this helps. I think talking openly is the key.

Postby mezzaninedoor » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:45 pm

This is interesting because my interest in sex is almost non existant these last 2 years. I wouldn't say I'm impotent, just that the urge is not there currently.

It doesn't seem to worry my wife too much :) as we still spoon and cuddle etc.

I can see that for someone much younger than I it would be much more of an issue.

Postby sirhugo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm

ive noticed reduction in my sex drive as well, but the most noticeable issue is that im finding it much more difficult to "finish". apologies, but im trying to avoid the e word :D :lol:

strangely I dont have any issues "rising to the occasion". I suppose that's something :)

Postby mihaela » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Isn't it weird? I neither have nor want a sex drive. I suppose if you've never had it you don't miss it. :lol:

Postby sirhugo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm

sometimes I do miss having a higher sex drive, because despite my lack of it, it can still be friggin awesome :D

but the way I see it now is that sex is not a big deal to me anymore. once you've done it 70,000 times then you just don't feel the need for it as much anymore

ok maybe im exaggerating that number a bit :D

Return to “Diversity Room”