Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Stupidity

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness

Stupidity

Postby oobydoobie » Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Sometimes i think 'How stupid am I?! ' . Then other times i think,disdainfully, 'How beeping stupid can beeping people be?!'
It's been a while since i've been through the latter but i'm going through a big heap of it at the moment.
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.
oobydoobie

Re: Stupidity

Postby judithj » Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 pm

we all feel both of those things at times, hugs, judith xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlLh1H3PLtU
"Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe We shall overcome, some day."
judithj

Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby oobydoobie » Sat May 12, 2012 10:18 pm

marmite wrote:What's triggered that feeling Ooby?

A couple of twats on different forums recently.
My newspaper

Support on these forums is dictated by being part of the in crowd or not, not by need.
oobydoobie

Postby brachypelma » Sun May 13, 2012 4:07 am

If your stupid, im the king of the potato people!
how come they made you feel stupid? what did the low life's say to you?
Time takes away the last few moments..
brachypelma

Postby oobydoobie » Sun May 13, 2012 5:50 am

brachypelma wrote:If your stupid, im the king of the potato people!
how come they made you feel stupid? what did the low life's say to you?

First was a debate with a couple of people who are fanatical believers in God and who rubbished me as a person for expressing an atheistic POV. Basically as they say in football terms ' they played the man and not the ball'.
I ended up thinking how stupid they were. I had no problems with them expressing a theist POV. It was the personal attacks that pissed me off.

Second was on another forum with someone who pushes a strong anti psychiatry/meds are evil agenda and who sees me as being totally opposed to him because i don't totally agree with him.
He just couldn't see that posting and reposting articles that were heavily negative about psychiatry and taking medication,
might just persuade people, by sheer attrition, to stop their medication dead with bad consequences.
He took no responsibility for the effect his actions might have on others as though all posters on the forum were splendidly isolated from each other and immune to input especially regularly repeated input via select quotes and article links.
I ended the late evening/early morning thinking how stupid he was and the people who were egging him on.

I used to swing more regularly at one time between thinking i'm stupid and other people are stupid to the point i would say over the top outrageous things like 'I was more intelligent than you when i was 8 years old'. When i was more into thinking others were stupid that was one of my obsessively repeated put downs.
Now, usually, i tend to think i'm stupid rather than the other way round. At one point i would even post scathing diatribes about how stupid psychiatrists were even though in more rational moments i knew that wasn't true.
I always have had a tendency to swing from misplaced arrogance to really putting myself down as a person, and it's always been hard to find a happy medium.

I think a lot of it is down to an unstable sense of self esteem/self worth. If enough people came on here saying how clever i was i'd start convincing myself i was a genius, but if then another group came along and said how stupid i was;i'd convince myself i was as thick as two short planks.
My self image isn't very balanced/stable.
My newspaper

oobydoobie

Postby brachypelma » Sun May 13, 2012 6:09 am

No matter a topic personal attacks are not warranted, and they call themselves followers of god? well actually sounds about right since they break their own rules (no offence intended). Your belief is your own and expressing it should not be of any concern to others if they are secure in their belief's. Sounds they wanted to try you as a heretic , be proud that you have your own set of belief's and did not ever crack to what other people think is right and wrong.

People should learn the freedom of opinion, so you dont agree with the the poster, you are very strong in your opinions ( a fine quality by the way) I dont think the poster could take that you wont bend or break and just how resilient you are and took it as a personal agenda to break you.

To be frank, you are extremely smart and well worded. Look back over time and see how well you can express things and stand by them without faltering in the least its a remarkable trait. Your words and terminology shows how strong minded you are I get the feeling from some of your posts that your a mile thick brick wall in your stature of opinion I dont think some people can take your strength on board. I admit at times I become envious of how well you can word or talk I dont see you as a threat so why cant others.
"I was more intelligent than you when i was 8 years old" LOL you should use that wit of yours more often its really becoming and a good show of your brute strength, you are an opinionated person, never feel worthless for it.
Time takes away the last few moments..
brachypelma

Postby umbrella4therain » Sun May 13, 2012 6:15 am

Personal attacks are completely out of line.
I can relate to what you are saying ooby about having a self esteem based on what others think, its a precarious balance and leaves me in an unstable position. For me its part of my social anxiety because I know that I act badly at times as a reaction to criticism which feels like it could come at any time from anywhere so leaves me feeling vulnerable and anxious because I dont want to show myself up. Which leads to me being always on the lookout for criticism so as a result Im not much fun and struggle socially. xx
umbrella4therain

Postby judithj » Sun May 13, 2012 4:46 pm

for the God people - i suggest you point out that Christianity urges its followers to "Judge not lest ye be judged" - my feeling is that evangelism is all very well in its place, but God has given man free will. then leave it at that. block them if need be.
with the other person, i don't think there is any point in discussion with him. it makes you feel bad and you are not going to persuade him. he may be genuine or he may be a troll, but either way, you don't have to read what he says. block him, and remind people at intervals that stopping meds without medical advice can be unsafe.
don't let yourself be made to feel rubbish by other people's bullying behaviour, hugs, Judith xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlLh1H3PLtU
"Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe We shall overcome, some day."
judithj

Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Return to Mutual Support Group