Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

dont really understand my feelings/ dont want to go on meds

If you're new and want to say hello...

dont really understand my feelings/ dont want to go on meds

Postby strawberryamazing » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:17 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and would like some help. I've just come back from holiday with my family and we stayed in a pretty remote hotel/places in Africa (btw im an african from Ghana). We were only there for 10 days and I felt anxious through the whole time imagining dangerous situations and ive come back sick(health)etc., I did enjoy it but somethings telling me I need help. I'm nealry 20 now and most of my teenage life ive acted quite strange mostly when im drunk lol most people only think im over exaggerating when I say things like i'm crazy amd depressed (this is the way most of my peers talk anyway) but all of the sudden I was feel unsetteld about life and living/religion and phobia of death ect. On a regular day to day I dont act manic but I do talk to myself but can help myself to stop. I just want to feel better again. However the thought of taking a pill to make me feel better scares me I really dont want to take pills is there a way to meditate/council services/groups i can join or do to myself feel better? thank you
strawberryamazing

Re: dont really understand my feelings/ dont want to go on m

Postby Aleshadxcherylc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi strawberry amazing
Welcome to the foroum well done for posting
So sorry to hear of what happened when you went away
I agree with eveything marmite has suggested I would go back to your gp and tell them what you are feeling either print this post out or write down bullet points medication isn't the only option and you will be able to choose what you want tell your go you don't want medication you want a therapy and see what they can advise and suggest to you
Take Care keep strong and keep talking
Katie
Xx
And the tears come streaming down your face,when you lose something you cant replace
Till now, I always got by on my own, I never really cared until I met you
No-one ever comes close to you
Aleshadxcherylc

Postby strawberryamazing » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:43 pm

thanks for the support katie and marmite I think I will print my post to the GP although I dont know how the system works should I go to the local mental health clinic or talk to an ordinary GP? £45 per session :? thats a lot its a shame about the waiting list
thanks for the help
strawberryamazing

Postby judithj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm

go to your gp - some services need your gp to refer you, hugs, Judith xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlLh1H3PLtU
"Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe We shall overcome, some day."
judithj

Location: Have you ever thought what it's like, to be wanderers in the fourth dimension?

Postby xRainbowx » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Strawberryamazing,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling - did you go to your GP and how did it go? How are you feeling now? Hope you're ok and here if you want to chat. Hugs xxx
xRainbowx

Postby strawberryamazing » Thu May 10, 2012 12:41 am

:) hi,
everyone , in the end the GP gave me meds even though I asked him not to, he gave me a low dose of diazapam to take at night..but I'm not sure if I should take them every night what are the effects??, I've heard some horror stories in regards to side effects and addiction, I guess its all about self control. what do you guys take or avoid even?
strawberryamazing

Postby umbrella4therain » Thu May 10, 2012 3:10 am

HI. I think it is about the individual and self control. It is your choice if you take medication. Its about weighing up the pros and cons. If you are not sure how often to take them I would go back to your GP to check and discuss your concerns about taking them with your doctor. I think nowadays it is recommended that benzodiazapines are only used for a short period of time due to the risk of addiction. There are other treatments available so if you dont want to take diazepam then dont be afraid to tell your doctor you dont want to take it and ask if is there anything else they can offer.

here are some links I looked up that may or may not be helpful.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pa ... ction.aspx

I hope you can get some relief from your symptoms soon. xx
umbrella4therain

Postby Alzice » Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 am

Hi,

I can really relate to where you are right now, being about the same age and in a very similar situation. I only recently realised I really need help and am also not really sure about drugs.
The way I see them is that they're good for getting back on your feet so that you can perhaps put more into the therapy stuff, which is really the long term solution.
I would maybe suggest going to the library and checking out some self-help books, or buying them if you're more comfortable with that. There are even some that are medically recommended so if you're worried about finding one that's no good there are ways to work it out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Depr ... 1841191256
This is the one I have and it is really good. The thing is that different things work for different people, so there's nothing wrong with kind of experimenting for a while. Some things just instantly don't click, but some things you have to stick with a bit longer before you can really tell.
Hope you're feeling okay
Alice
Alzice

Return to Newbies Room