Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

You don't have to go through this alone.

For sharing your experiences and feelings about mental illness

Re: You don't have to go through this alone.

Postby •Nicky• » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 am

Just wanted to say hi.

I am so glad I have found SANE at this point - it was suggested by my local mental health care team whilst I am waiting for my referral to go through and start treatment.

I hope it will help to be on here, to see that maybe im not alone but right now I really feel it. Maybe I can get some help and understanding - I have some things I just can't talk about with people around me, I am terrified of being judged

X
•Nicky•

Postby staygold » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm really glad i've found this forum.

I don't want my first post to be long so i'll try to cut it short.

I've seen 3 different GP's; The first GP i ever saw about feeling down 3 years ago, said that i was 'too young' to be depressed and to basically get over it. After a few months i was advised to return so when i did he prescribed me a pack of tablets and told me to come back once I'd finished them. When i did go back and said i felt no different he said "That's because there's nothing wrong with you."
I then saw a nurse and she referred me to a Mental Health Community Centre who then advised that i go back to my doctor and be firm with him but i knew i couldn't do this. They also advised me to attend a meeting called Stress Pac but this didn't help at all.

I then moved house resulting in a new GP. She referred me to a CPN. After seeing her for a while, it just became a chore and didn't make a difference.
I moved into a hostel and my support worked suggested that i went to Mind, so i had one on one counselling there but again, nothing changed as i find it really difficult talking to people so i've attended Stress Pac, been to a Mental Health Community Centre, had a CPN and had counselling. Nothing has worked.

I have a new GP now who i haven't spoken to about anything like this and i really don't have the energy or guts to start up everything again.

So i just want to ask is it possible to email your GP or a nurse? Do you think if i could, i should email before my appointment as i feel i could take it from there but i just can't talk about everything.

I find it so difficult to talk to people and i know i need help now. I can't put it to one side any more as it's getting worse.
staygold

Postby •Nicky• » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Staygold - I'm not sure if you can email them beforehand but you could try writing everything down and giving it to the GP at the appointment? I usually do as I also find it very hard to explain how I feel and what is happening

I hope this helps and you get the support you need.

Take care x
•Nicky•

Postby staygold » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am

Thank you for replying. I wrote everything down the other day. It's just finding the courage to phone for an appointment.

I would prefer to see the Nurse rather than a GP. Would it be a waste of time? Would she just refer me to my GP afterwards?
staygold

Postby •Nicky• » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 pm

No problem - happy to try to help. Phoning for the appointment is really hard - I know it took my weeks and several attempts. Is there anyone that can maybe ring and make the appt for you?

You could ask about if you can see a nurse, I think it dependant on your doctors surgery. I know mine will refer to gp from the nurse. I think if mess are involved (being prescribed/changed etc.) It has to be done by the doctor.

Take care xx
•Nicky•

Postby staygold » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:15 am

•Nicky• wrote:No problem - happy to try to help. Phoning for the appointment is really hard - I know it took my weeks and several attempts. Is there anyone that can maybe ring and make the appt for you?

You could ask about if you can see a nurse, I think it dependant on your doctors surgery. I know mine will refer to gp from the nurse. I think if mess are involved (being prescribed/changed etc.) It has to be done by the doctor.

Take care xx

I asked my partner to do it but then i felt so bad asking so i took a deep breath and did it myself!
The receptionist asked me what it was in relation to. Is that normal?
When i asked if i had to discuss it over the phone she said quite arrogantly "Well, how else am i going to book you in? I need to put down what it is you're coming in for"
I've never been asked at other doctors. It made the whole situation worse and when i had to say the word 'depression' i started crying. :|

Anyway, my appointment is at 3 today and every time i think about it my stomach turns. My partner's at work so i have to go on my own. I'm dreading it. I also have to go into college to discuss why i haven't been in this week. Today is going to be awful.
staygold

Postby staygold » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:29 am

Tealover wrote:incredibly well done for getting an appointment, its one of the hardest things to do. So be proud of yourself.

Thank you so much, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
It's going to be nothing compared to sitting in front of a stranger telling them how i feel though is it! :(
staygold

Postby staygold » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Yeah, that's what i did.
She was really nice and said she starts people off on 10mg of citalopram and said to go back in 3 weeks to see how i am whether i need to try something else or higher the dose. I feel a lot better just knowing that people are listening and trying to help me.
staygold

Postby plastic.smiles » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am

glad you are feeling better hunny..:)
plastic.smiles

Postby •Nicky• » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 am

Well done for making that call and getting tothe appointment!

So pleased it went well and that you are feeling better
Xx
•Nicky•

PreviousNext

Return to Mutual Support Group