Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Being proud of our suffering

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
Isap

Being proud of our suffering

Postby Isap » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello

I just finished reading Victor Frankl's classic which most of us will have heard of. He was a Holocaust surviver and psychiatrist who noticed that those who survived were not necessarily the physically strongest but those who had something to live for, usually a beloved person.

Those of us with mental illness usually lose our self esteem and feel like a pile of garbage. In reality, we are brave, heroic sufferers far stronger than the average person who have learnt to rise above our pain. This makes us very special people indeed

So how about forgetting self esteem altogether. Its only an opinion we hold of ourselves. Don't compare ourselves with others. Be proud of our suffering recognising it does not have to be a permanent state. Nurturing that attitude mayake it easier to bear.

And finally try and connect with the world outside, even if only the plants in the garden or a pet. Feeling connected with nature Andrew living creatures removes some of the fear of isolation.

If it is our destiny to suffer so be it, but we still have choices and can make ourselves a better person in spite of it.

Hope this makes sense or helps a little.

Isap xx

mithrellas

Re: Being proud of our suffering

Postby mithrellas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am

Hi Isap,

Thank you for posting this. It is great advice and you've mentioned things I already try to do, it helps to have the ideas reaffirmed from time to time.

I get very down thinking about my 'failings' and worrying what other people are doing or what they think of me. One idea I've found that helps is to try and focus on the now a bit more. When I feel my mind starting to tick over I try to ground myself by focusing on the present and my current activity (if I'm not doing anything I will try to find something or just take a minute to focus on breathing). I guess the idea is to take my mind away from dwelling on the past or the what ifs of the future and try to make the most of right now.

I am currently reading The Happiness Trap and have found some really helpful ideas and techniques in there, mainly based on ACT and mindfulness. There are some great videos on the website that you can watch for free too. https://thehappinesstrap.com/free-resources/

I did check guidelines about posting links and it seems that this is ok but I apologise if I have misunderstood. I have genuinely found it helpful.

Hope this makes sense :)

andthistoomustpass

Postby andthistoomustpass » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am

Hiya

Helpful / fun / interesting links are great and so's The Happiness Trap, I recently finished that myself but can't find the book so that link was just what I needed. I've been using diffusion techniques for a while to help sit with and recognise my emotions against my long practice of repressing everything emotional that moves in my head (Mr Spock was clearly far to big a role model for me as a kid :lol:) I've identified some values too. Wonderful book.

Isap, hope you don't mind me commenting in your thread.

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Mithrellas and aTTMP

thanks for your nice comments

I have a copy of The Happiness Trap in my cell with all the important parts underlined. Its my second bible.

In my situation I dont have much mobility or things to work with so all these links and recommendations really help.

Staying rooted in the present moment is really important and why we must keep practising mindfulness formally and informally at all times

Isap xx

breatheinandout

Postby breatheinandout » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:56 am

I've never heard of the The Happiness Trap, thank you for posting - I will investigate!
Why did i pick such a long username?! Do call me Biao :D

Return to “Diversity Room”