Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Autism

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
racho

Autism

Postby racho » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Can anyone answer my question? Is autism a mental health problem? As professional often don't see it as Mental Health but a disability which it is but where do the whole picture begin and end? I think I may be on the spectrum as can see traits. Problem being would be pointless getting a diagnosis as know what they looking for.

deb1960

Re: Autism

Postby deb1960 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 am

Sorry I don't know. I'd try googling it.

Deb x

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/m ... ealth.aspx

Does that help
I think its aligned with mental health but may not be judged a mental ilness in and off itself

saturngems44

Postby saturngems44 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi I could be totally wrong but is it cognitive?
ADHD is cognitive I know they aren't the same but overlap I so many ways

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:32 am

'High-functioning' autism isn't a mental health problem, but it often comes with them - anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. So many people, even so-called professionals, get it wrong about autism. Autism is a pervasive developmental condition - not a disorder, just a difference in seeing the world, so in that sense, yes, it's cognitive. I have female-type Asperger's syndrome - whose traits are more subtle than classic AS - the type mainly found in males, which means that we are often misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all, which is so wrong! Just because autism isn't a learning disability doesn't mean that life is easy - far from it - yet the professionals tend to downplay our autism for it's not 'obvious'. I simply couldn't manage in certain areas of life without quite intensive support - which I get from a friend (without this, the system would have driven me to suicide). Sometimes learning disabilities come with the autism - such as dyspraxia, dyslexia, dyscalculia, executive dysfunction, etc. It's these, along with the way people treat us that make our lives difficult - not the autism itself. We're constantly being misunderstood. I find that people who suspect they're on the autism spectrum usually are.

Why do you feel you need a diagnosis? I needed one to confirm what I suspected all along, and was told I'd get support - which didn't happen. If you need a diagnosis to get support, and if you suspect you have the female presentation, you really must find someone with experience in that area otherwise you risk being misdiagnosed. Hope this helps :)

ooby

Postby ooby » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:35 pm

A good site for those who have, or suspect they may have, autism, or a similar thing non verbal learning disorder http://wrongplanet.net/forums/

I know I will never get a diagnosis of my NVLD/ASD(?) . I bought the issue up with my then care co-ordinator about 8 years ago and she did set me up with an extra appointment with the pdoc. Unfortunately it was a disaster. He asked a few totally irrelevant questions before dismissing the issue.
I am too scared to press the issue because it was pressing for more help and support that got me labelled as "awkward,demanding and troublesome" and a "very dependent narcissist".

Have heard the A word mentioned a few times but there have been no moves to act on it. Last time was last appointment with my nurse practitioner who mentioned it in relation to something I had said. It was quickly followed by " Not that there's much we can do" before she changed the line of conversation.

I think it's too late for me anyway whether it be dyspraxia,non verbal learning disorder or autism or more likely a combination of such. The damage has been done and too much water has passed under the bridge. I can only hope things improve for people in the future. It's just a question of coping as best I can rather than to what might have been my full potential.

Return to “Diversity Room”