Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Christianity and mh

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
hat

Christianity and mh

Postby hat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Any Christians here?

How do you reconcile being a Christian and thoughts of S? How do you reconcile a God who wants good for us and suffering mh problems? A song we sang this morning - in the midst of the storm he is there, in the darkest day his light shines through.

I'm finding it difficult. I think I expect too much of myself and find myself thinking that I shouldn't be this way.

mezzaninedoor

Re: Christianity and mh

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 pm

I was once a christian, I left the church about 10 years ago.
I still have feelings that I shouldn't be this way though none of that is to do with a faith.
I think the thing to possibly think about here is that there are no stereotypes with mental health, we have personalities and we have our conditions and all that makes us who we are is very varied.
We need to love ourselves in order to love others and accept that mental health is a physical condition that isn't visible. It is an illness.

Im not sure that helps but its my thoughts on the matter.

christabel

Postby christabel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi there

I'm lucky in the fact I can see the good come out of the bad things in my life. I have seen God working in others when in need. Not that I go to church anymore, I rather my action be of more use.

Ask him for help. X

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 pm

ah! but what about having NO faith?

count-brakula

Postby count-brakula » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm

***Possible triggers, so be ye warned***

I think when it comes to thoughts of suicide, in respect to a Christian lifestyle, it really depends on the motivation behind those thoughts. If the motivation is looking for an escape from the pain and anguish caused by mental health issues. I personally see this as an a understandable reaction to a desperate situation and in turn not particularly sinful in its self. Acting on them is something completely different, successful or not, causes a lot of damage to our loved ones. If the motivation is a form of revenge or to hurt by proxy, this is much harder to reconcile, but, at the end of the day, the Christian faith also teaches forgiveness, so it's not really our place to judge.
As for your second question about how can a supposedly loving God allow so much suffering. I think of the story of Job, in particular, the wager between God and the devil, and how strange it seems that God would even accept the bet. Did God accept the wager because of Job's faith in him, or perhaps, his faith in Job?

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi,

I don't think God makes bad things happen. I don't think he caused the holocaust or mental illness. I think God suffers with us. Now why the hell he doesn't make that clear I don't know. And where this suffering comes from I don't know either.

I think faith is a lot easier when life's good. When we're going through the worst it's hard to have faith.

If I thought God sent me my suffering he's wouldn't be a God I wanted.

Sunflowers&Raindrops

Postby Sunflowers&Raindrops » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't believe that God sends you anything, or that he 'controls' anything - he cannot stop the actions of other people, he can only give them the courage or strength to do what needs to be done.

I am very new to Christianity but I am embracing it completely because at the end of the day the message which has stuck with me is that 'God loves you'. (even if you think nobody else does).
Let God's love help you to learn to love yourself back.

Go to your local church and tell the vicar/pastor etc your worries. They WILL pray for you. As will I.

EDIT: I must add that reading into Christianity and accepting God's wisdom has helped me in my battle against my disorder. I am not saying it's for everyone, but having a faith has given me faith. Faith in the future and faith for all others.

Amen.

pablo24

Postby pablo24 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I have been lucky in that my depression has been part of my journey of faith. I only discovered the Lord through my depression leading me to Him, so I can never regret falling ill

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:02 am

Sunflowers and raindrops

I've found that spiritual counselling has helped me. I'm learning that God loves me unconditionally. It's helping. I don't find faith easy. I came to a point a few years ago that I really didn't know if there was a God. I decided to make my belief an act of will.

Pablo, I'm glad your belief has helped you in your depression.

I would love to have never experienced depression and for it to be gone. The one good thing is that my relationship with my husband is better. I think before it, although I loved him I thought I was too good for him. Despite that I wish so much that it hadn't found me.

Desmond Tutu said, If you must suffer, suffer well. I think a lot of people on this site do just that.

Deb x

nikr

Postby nikr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:11 pm

I am a born-again Christian with MH issues as well. It's really hard, I don't fully understand why God allows me to go through this, but I have complete faith He knows best. I personally think it's silly when people say, "Pray, and God will make it go away." The Bible never said that. However, praying will help you through that. Mental illness is hard, but it is teaching me that you cannot trust the human mind. Only trust in God.

Return to “Diversity Room”