Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

God

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
deb1960

Re: God

Postby deb1960 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am

And yes, God is justice.

Isap

Postby Isap » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I was born a Catholic and got married in a Catholic church. I occasionally go to Mass but in my heart the hypocrisy and false teachings determined by the Vatican actually sickens me. The Catholic Church exists for itself.

The Vatican is ridiculously wealthy. How much does it really care about the poor for whom the Kingdom of heaven is theirs?
Pedofile priests and denials
Opposition to birth control causing overpopulation and poverty problems in certain countries

As for its teachings, where do they come from? If it's the Bible, then that bothers me

The Bible says nothing about a Trinity, three persons in one God. This was borrowed from Hinduism. God and Jesus are separate entities.

The Bible says nothing about bad people going to Hell.

Confession - be absolved for your sins now so that you can resume sinning again tomorrow.

Why is Mary venerated? She is not God. In fact God told Abraham never to worship Him using statues and ornaments
That's what pagans do

The crucifix is a pagan symbol. Jesus was almost certainly crucified on a straight stake
Xmas and Easter are pagan rituals

Deb is right when she says many Catholics believe God to be a bearded figure on a cloud

And finally, if God is justice, why have I been suffering in jail with severe mental illness for 16 months for nothing? I should be working and giving money to worthwhile charities and helping people as Jesus did.

But I still believe and pray so it's not all bad

count-brakula

Postby count-brakula » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:40 pm

And finally, if God is justice, why have I been suffering in jail with severe mental illness for 16 months for nothing? I should be working and giving money to worthwhile charities and helping people as Jesus did.

Isap, don't underestimate the value of all the good work you've been doing on this forum. You've been here day in and day out, consoling and comforting the hurt and suffering people here, regardless of your own circumstances. You are doing the things that Jesus asked us to do, take comfort in the fact that you've making a difference. I personally think the fact that you haven't given up is an inspiration in its self!

Isap

Postby Isap » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:47 am

Hi Count

Thanks for your kind words. They are much appreciated and an inspiration to me.

In Old Testament terms, I guess Deb and crux are correct about God being justice, striking down the wicked and protecting the good. But sometimes His decisions seem arbitrary.

Isap

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:37 am

I don't mean justice in old testament terms. I suppose I don't think God can alter things, which isn't meant to be true. I think I mean that God has no negative attributes. If God could make me better but chose not to he wouldn't be a God I wanted to know.

I go with the idea that suffering is a mystery. Maybe that's a get out clause. but I need that otherwise how could I accept anything.

But the old testament. Please don't link me with that stuff.

Deb x

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:52 pm

I agree that socially you cant have Love without Justice BUT
Some of that OT Justice just doesnt feel like Justice, it feels like Anger and Control, for me

Hence I think I'm miles away from any spiritual truth these days

Isap

Postby Isap » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:30 pm

The problem with most of all the world's organised religions especially arrogant Christianity is that they have lost touch with their spiritual or mystical tradition, which used to be the same for all. This was achieving enlightenment through increased concentration to become closer to God and the universe. Reading OT passages about kings slaughtering each other is not going to bring anyone closer to God. If prayer is what does it, then why go to church you can do at home. What was all this Crusades, Inquisition, burning of heretics about?

Believe it or not, quiet prayer aka meditation used to be common to all religions. Hindu and Buddhism retain it but Christianity has lost it. All those monasteries in the Middle Ages, the monks didn't spend their whole time growing cabbages and brewing strong liqueurs. They meditated in silence. Sufis in Islam danced and chanted.

Prayer is good because it's free and cheap medicine but I have yet to see any evidence that it works. If God exists then we gotta make an effort to find him. Meditation is the only way, or mindfulness as its now being called to take it out of its religious context.. Good luck

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm

The only points I would make are these.

There is no need to go to church given you can be with God anywhere. However some people, or me at any rate, need the routine of going to church as well. Not for the rules or the pleasing my fellow catholics. It's probably like having an attachment to your Gran's house even though she died years ago.

Regarding quiet prayer. That is a big part of my sister's life. She is a nun and from time spent with her and knowing her so well, her prayer life is the most important part of her life. The day to day living of the average Catholic , I suspect, has the bread and butter prayer that we grow up with. This can be comforting but for me that's as far as it goes. There are, however, people like me who work towards a deep and meaningful relationship with God. I suspect most of these people, like me, find it difficult, frustrating, occasionally uplifting and nothing like the image conjured up by the thought of mystics and others. Anyone taking their prayer life seriously is going to spend a lot of time struggling. If the longing for God wasn't so deep I would give up but I haven't found anything that matters as much yet.

Having said all that, I am aware that religion and especially Christianity has done a great deal to give itself a bad name. Sometimes you have to shift all the crap to find the beginning of your journey.

depressedtodeath

Postby depressedtodeath » Tue May 03, 2016 6:23 pm

God must be a satanic torturous evil being for standing back and doing nothing about the sufferibg in this world, and those who believe in him being loving are delusional and clearly suffering from pychosis.

Return to “Diversity Room”