Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

God

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
deb1960

Re: God

Postby deb1960 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:23 pm

I don't believe God created the suffering in this world. God is love and only capable of loving us. If God created any suffering at all he would be a wicked God. Anyone who deliberately creates suffering is wicked.

So why doesn't he stop it given he is all powerful? I don't know. Nobody knows. So we are left with very definite answers.
God creates suffering for whatever reason.
God doesn't create suffering but could stop it if he wanted.
I believe in God but I don't know the answer.
I don't believe in God.

I think the issue of suffering is the biggest barrier between people and God. It's something I would love to understand. For many years I dropped out of the church. I wanted proof that God existed. Eventually I realised I'd never have proof. My belief is an act of will. There are few Christians who do not doubt their faith, some occasionally, some for much of the time. I often have doubts but accept that this is normal.

I believe that wars are started by people. Mental illness is part of our make up and bad experiences caused by people. Natural disasters are part of the make up of our world. Why God can't save us from all this I don't know. But I got sick of the questioning and gave in to my desire to believe.

For a few years I have worked very hard at my faith. My relationship with God has become much more important to me. My life by and large is no easier now with the exception of when I go to bed. I talk to God in a journal. I find I feel very close at times. When I look over entries from the past I am surprised at how loving I feel towards God and how loved I feel by him.

I would love certainty and looked for clues for years. I think the closest we can ever get is to learn to look into our own soul. Looking out there will give us loads of interesting thoughts but not a lot else.

mlmack94

Postby mlmack94 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:59 am

many Buddhists believe that a spirit comes into a life knowing there journey to teach life lessons so our spirits during the reincarnation process actually pick our parents and choose that life because its something that needs to be taught in gods classroom (earth). to develop ones spiritual prowess, many people believe that an agreement is made between spirits that will create our world, it will make them behave as our loved ones and our enemies, and in turn we have good moments in life and bad ones. its all just so we can learn and develop as beings.

I personally don't believe any religion because I just don't but its a neat way to think of life.
ive always admired Buddhists. they always preach in such philosophical ways

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:48 pm

It's really odd as I can't acknowledge any religion as the real deal BUT I can acknowledge that there appears to be a need to look or at least investigate spirituality. It seems that there is value at looking at religious teachings alongside philosophers as there is value in some of that, feeding our moral selves.

I know that I'm probably a left winger in my political views because of my exposure to new testament christianity and the social gospel of Jesus. It partly has affected my political views to some degree.

God - Thats another subject. The world is so lop sided, how could there be a diety.

Sunflowers&Raindrops

Postby Sunflowers&Raindrops » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Isap wrote:The Bible is boring and repetitive but you will find here and there some very practical advice on how to live your life and put up with adversity.

I disagree on the bible being boring and repetitive. The Old Testament is made up of purely history so there are a lot of family lineage lists. The New Testament focuses on the testaments of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, which all tell the same story albeit in a slightly different way and different things can be taken from each.

I would (at first) focus on the Psalms and the Proverbs to find answers and wisdom. Also make sure you have a NIV (New International Version) of the bible which is easier to read and actually contains a guide to the bible unlike the old fashioned relics you often find in hotel room drawers.

If all else fails, attend an Alpha class where you can ask as many questions as you want!

Isap

Postby Isap » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:51 am

Hi amybee

I started reading the Bible last year in jail. I read New Testament then started Old Testament but lost interest after Deuteronomy

I take Bible study lessons every week. As you said, Proverbs and Psalms are the easiest to relate to.

What disturbs me most is that God in the Old Testament is vengeful and kills innocent people as in the whole world except Noah and his family, yet Jesus is peace and love.

I respect all religion and don't believe that Christianity is superior, although I pray to a Christian God to give me strength and get me out of jail

Isap xx

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:05 pm

It just feels that in too many places on this planet, life is just far too cheap.

I feel there are great moral lessons in the New Testament but whether you have to believe in a God to honour that, I don't know.

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:00 pm

im a little confused as I was convinced you were a believer
musn't as you say judge a book and all that

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:17 am

I can't bluff
People read me too easily
I can make stuff up on the spot - comedy/poetry
But I can't bluff myself through an untruth

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Cal,

Just a brief post

I am not a Vatican Catholic. I would say I am a Christian. I take part in the Catholic church because I need a structure. I was brought up in a devout Catholic family and we were taught how to live a life that respected everyone. My Mum and Dad still practice as do two of my siblings along with me.

Any religion that is adhered to,
Will show true humanity. Of course there are also many atheists who do the same.

God is love and I try to imitate that.

Take care, Deb x

deb1960

Postby deb1960 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:25 am

Hi Crux

I really like your post and agree, more or less. For me the ritual is a comfort. It's where the God of my childhood is. I love the hymns. They can be prayers in themselves. I love the veneration of the Blessed Sacrament even though I do not believe it's the body and blood of Christ. I don't believe my religion is ideal by any means. For me it is a vehicle but only that.

But there are lots of Catholics whose belief is the church and God comes second. They have not moved on from the God of their childhood.

I struggle a lot with faith but I work at it constantly. I used to think this was bad. I have to forgive myself though for this. I am human.

Deb x

Return to “Diversity Room”