Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

God

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
alisontiz

Re: God

Postby alisontiz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi all, just want to say I've been following this very interesting thread. I haven't been to Church for about 23 years but have always had an idea in the back of my mind that there is a God. I have looked into other religions a little and have often thought that there is one God whom we all worship in different ways. In all honesty, I can't really say I know anything about it. The reason I have been thinking about it recently is that until about two years ago my husband and I always got on incredibly well and we honestly never argued or shouted at one another. Some would say this was an unhealthy marriage. Nevertheless, it was true and I knew I could rely on my husband to be there for me no matter what. Then,long story short, I was threatened with being sectioned if I didn't take Risperidone. I reluctantly took it. The result was I spent about two years asleep or lying on the sofa doing nothing and ended up with tardive dyskinesia. One day, my mild-mannered husband could take no more and screamed in my face about me being lazy and never doing anything. It also transpired that he thought I was making all my involuntary movements on purpose. All of this, caused by Risperidone, almost made us divorce. It was a hellish time for both of us and to this day I have no idea how we have pulled things back together as much as we have. This year will be our 30th wedding anniversary and we shall both have our 60th birthdays. Never having celebrated anything before, I have been thinking that it would be good to mark this year as a special time in our lives. I have also been thinking about having a Thanksgiving for our marriage during which we renew our vows in Church. I most certainly do not want to do this unless I believe in what I am saying and believe in God. I do feel very confused about the whole thing and sometimes think I should go on an Alpha course, but I don't really go out and couldn't manage being with a group of people. Sorry to but in on this thread,but just wanted to let you know I'm following what is written and am searching for ideas and answers from whatever persuasion. Wishing you well, Alison

Afrika2015

Postby Afrika2015 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Do whatever feels right and whatever works for you. Forget everyone else and all the preconceptions. You'll never know if you don't try. Personally, i'm a Muslim and my faith helps me!!!

markh

Postby markh » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 am

TBH, religion and god are the last things you need when you feel like you do.
I was quite active in church, and yet i felt as if i wasn't welcome, i did not feel accepted. Its very hard to feel wanted, accepted and loved by a god who isn't there.
God did nothing for me. I hate god and anything to do with church, religion or anything to do with it.
He didn't help me to cope with a wicked mother, or when i was abused. Sure; people say that it wasn't him that allowed it, it was people that committed the acts against me. So why didn't he step in and protect me? because he isn't there. Its crowd control; all those TV evangelists you see, spouting on and on about gods love for us? they get paid to do that. I dont believe there is a loving god. My mother and step-father chose one night to confront and humiliate me in front of a gathering of people, what a hurtful thing to do. If thats what being a "christian" means then i want nothing to do with it. There is no heaven, its all fallacy. i certainly wouldnt be welcome if there was. All the important people get to go; the rest of the plebs get stuffed as usual.

alisontiz

Postby alisontiz » Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 am

Thank you, Afrika and Markh. I have found both of your posts helpful. At the moment it doesn't seem as though any renewing of vows will take place this year. Markh, I have often felt that Church membership is just for 'show' and when I attended I struggled to be allowed into the place that everyone else seemed to have found and to have perfect faith. Somehow I never quite managed it. I am so sorry to hear of the terrible pain you experienced. Afrika, I'm glad you have such a different experience - I shall definitely keep reading and thinking. Alison

christabel

Postby christabel » Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 pm

Everyone has their opinion and when you suffer in life it's not always easy to hold on to a faith. I personally have had my faith tested to the limit at times but not surprising have seen the good come out of bad. I don't go to church anymore, I don't think that is what it's all about.

motherofrage

Postby motherofrage » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 pm

I've considered myself to be an atheist for most of my life, and I wouldn't go anywhere near any evangelicals or other fundamentalists. However lately I've become really interested in the Quakers, or Friends. I've not yet summoned up the courage to attend a meeting, but I think I will, one day. What draws me to them is that they seem to be amazingly tolerant, not just in terms of gender, sexuality etc, but also in terms of faith - there is even a non- theist group. What holds them together is a commitment to truth, justice, simplicity and peace, all things I wish I had had more of in my life. They appear to be quite a welcoming lot, but I am very anxious about being rejected or not wanted, so I haven't yet had the nerve to put it to the test.

Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am

Hi everyone
I have been a Christian since nineteen and it made me much more ill than I had been before. This made me leave the church temporarily but I went back later and I am starting to develop a relationship with God that means He gives answers to all my mental health problems gradually. This is what I didn't see I had to do when I was first a Christian. They are quite complex and the professionals haven't found the answers for me. I didn't experience love in my life until I felt it coming from Christians and this started my borderline personality disorder as it felt so intense but consequently I couldn't rely on it and ever since I haven't found a replacement. However without God and prayer I wouldn't have grown to see that I indeed can be loved and cared for and understood and died for and validated. This means I can live a life that makes incomparably more sense than it would have without becoming a Christian.
Most spiritual experiences that mimic God come from satan and not good or neutral spirits.
Best wishes

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm a lapsed Christian and have a view that churches can be very supportive places full of genuine caring people, they can also hold great prejudice as well so just be careful that you engage with any community on your terms and don't feel any guilt.

I always found the Bible to have some really profound teaching but also to have some concerning content as well, my faith waned and people will often talk of a 'god shaped hole' in us but I wonder if we have an 'us shaped hole', not sure where we need to learn to love ourselves a lot more than we have and transform ourselves. I'm flat at the moment and I know I'm missing something but I think that something if something of me that isn't right.

A lot of the Sermon on the Mount had some good social principles for example.

TBH This is a difficult subject and I don't feel that I'm knowledgable enough to speak on it.

I do wonder if my tribulations with my faith over years has contributed to where I am now ???

I don't begrudge people faith as long as they have some open mindedness towards all people around them and practice less judgement than a lot of christians can sometimes project.

sorry its a bit of a ramble

emily67

Postby emily67 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:17 pm

hi.

though i'd like to believe in god, i don't. or rather, i can't find any reason to believe in him.

over the years i've lost indipendence, i've lost my family, i've lost stability, i've lost my way in general (not know what to do with my life), i turn on the tv to find news about killings or road traffic accidents, where does it end?

i just can't find a reason to believe in a god... i admit growing up, i was quite curious and let my christian naybor read me the bible, but even she ended up going against her own beliefs.

i do still read inspirational stories though (things like chicken soup stories). i find them comforting

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 am

Interesting saying.

I think as a lapsed christian I do find that I sometimes feel I have a 'god shaped' hole so spirituality in folks seems natural to me, I can see from my own past and how I feel now why people happen upon faith.
My issues tend to be with the 'fairness' of creation and the intolerance of some people of faith, mostly the findamentalists I guess.
One of my favourite music artists is a christian guy called Martyn Joseph, he has a great social message as well though.

Return to “Diversity Room”