Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

God

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
Virella

God

Postby Virella » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 am

Have had my friend round this evening, and he played a few podcasts for me from UCB Inspirational. I wouldn't really class myself as a religious person, and neither does my friend, he says he's simply a Christian, he's not religious. There were a few things that stuck with me, the obvious ones being you have to love yourself for others to love you etc etc. But he said that it didn't matter if people liked him or not, because the creator of the entire Universe loves him and loves each and every one of us.
I don't really know what to make of it all. I feel that, if I'm willing to take drugs every day to make myself better, why not try this positive outlook? I can't lose anything really. But at the same time, I don't know how I can be expected to believe in a God who would let so much bad happen in the world.
Anyway, my friend wants me to go to his church with him to see if they can help me. Does anyone here go?

mending_wings

Re: God

Postby mending_wings » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am

Hi Virella, interesting post. I go to church pretty much every week, i'm involved in leading the 11-14s youth group there and, like your friend, i would call myself a christian but i woudln't say i'm religious.

As a Christian, i firmly believe that faith in Jesus is the only way to ever be saved. However, this does not mean that i'll always be happy and that life will be great. It doesn't say anywhere in the bible that this will be the case and it's certainly not my expereince of life :(

I'd certainly recommned going along to your friend's church to see what it's like and maybe try getting yourself to an ALPHA course if you want to know what it's all about. I believe they even have one session on why God allows suffering. My understanding of the suffering question is quite simply that when God created man, He gave us free will to choose. On a very simple level, we can choose whether we behave in a way which upsets Him (sin) or not, and in allowing us this choice, He allows us to destroy His creation. I could go into it further but i'm aware that i'm voicing my personal views here and that these may well upset some other users so i'll stop there. If you want to know more, please ask questions or PM me. I make no apologies for saying what I believe to be truth but i also don't seek to get into any arguments with people as i realise that others may have different beliefs. Please can this post not turn into an anti-religion rant anywhere. As already stated, I am Christian, i am NOT religious (as anyone who knows me would tell you :oops: )

Emma
I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real
I wanna let go of the pain I’ve felt so long

MythEagle

Postby MythEagle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 am

hey V,
the only thing i will say is keep an open mind and if the church in question condemns anything about you, or things you believe in ask yourself if that's a church you want to belong to. i say this because i knew a practising Christian who attended church weekly but they were very clear that self harm and mh issues were punishment from God and the pressure of the church made her more ill. however, i do know others who have been helped by religion. hence keep an open mind and do what's right for you.

also check out radio 4 website for whatever show was on just before 8am this morning. it was an athiest "church" where they wanted the community and the morals but not the religion. might be interesting. x
You are braver than you think, and stronger than you know.

Lucretia

Postby Lucretia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 am

I think I might be an atheist
x
It's nice to be important ,but it's more important to be nice
xxxxxx

non muggle and proud

Nina

Postby Nina » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 am

Like my Dad, I'm an atheist (unless I'm manic, then I'm God and I've just forgotten myself). I don't believe in God, religion, the soul or any kind of afterlife.

But... I do believe there's something in our brains that allows for spiritual experience. So if the chance is there, go and grab it. It might just be the thing your brain can use to lift itself up out of depression.

Good luck!

Nina xxx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5/11/12 1800, Trafalgar Square: re-enactment of final scene from "V for Vendetta" Be there.

Lucretia

Postby Lucretia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 am

I agree with what nina said
x
xxxxxx

non muggle and proud

zeldiy

Postby zeldiy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

'God is a concept by which we measure our pain'

John Lennon
Where Attention Goes Energy Flows

Andrew Lorimer

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm currently reading:

"Warranted Christian Belief" by Alvin Plantinga, Oxford University Press, Inc. New York; 2000; ISBN-13: 978-0-19-513193-2 (pbk.).

I've learnt from this book.

Lucretia

Postby Lucretia » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 pm

ive recently ordered The God Delusion by Richard dawkins
maybe I will learn from that book

x
xxxxxx

non muggle and proud

shakerattle&roll

Postby shakerattle&roll » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi,there, and thanks for your time. Maybe it would be quite reasonable to develop yourself as a free thinking person and then research your own thoughts and feelings before diving into a world and life of religion. I am a lapsed Roman Catholic and do not intend to do any more bowing and scraping and listening to others banging on about the saving power of God. From the very old days to this day religion has caused much suffering and death throught the whole of the living world and in my opinion the world would be a far better place if these religious dreamers would give it a rest and let ordinary,normal human beings get on with their lives. Try having some fun for a change and be yourself and enjoy all the fruits that this world hass to offer. Be happy and don't leave things till its too late because I certainly did let the grass grow beneath my feet and I truly regret it.

To give you an example of what I have said go to YouTube and key in the name Benny Hinn and you will see how perverted Christianity has become. Watch Super Christian rip off his congregation and ask you for money for his praying powers.
Good luck
Trevor.

Return to “Diversity Room”