Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Mental illness knows no boundaries...

Mental illness recognises no boundaries...
ModeratingTeam
Site Admin

Mental illness knows no boundaries...

Postby ModeratingTeam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Mental illness recognises no boundaries, including racial, cultural or ethnic boundaries. However, one’s experience of mental illness and the treatment and support offered may be influenced by such matters. If you would like to share your experiences of mental illness that by may have been influenced by your race, gender, culture and/or ethnic background, sexuality, disability, this is the place where you can feel at home. Welcome!
Moderating Team

Andrew Lorimer

Re: Mental illness knows no boundaries...

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 am

I would like to offer the proposition that the boundary of mental illness is sanity. Some are sane by any human standard - pace Freud re: civilization ergo neurosis.

Andrew Lorimer

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi Andrew,

I think you are being unfair! What is meant in the original post is that no person is immune to mental illness by virtue of being a member of a group or set of persons. That mental illness is a human problem, not a problem of only certain groups of persons. The sane are susceptible to the threat of mental illness; and that is why they keep their distance - a reason for (what is seen as) stigmatization.

As for your disagreement with Freud: are you sure? After all, you believe that you're sane and that is not what held you in a psychiatric unit during January and early February this year!

:geek:
Last edited by Andrew Lorimer on Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Lorimer

Postby Andrew Lorimer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Andrew Lorimer wrote:you believe that you're sane and that is not what held you in a psychiatric unit during January and early February this year!

Beg to differ; but it was because I was sane that I hung on so successfully.

Return to “Diversity Room”