Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Vicarious Trauma

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
epennington

Vicarious Trauma

Postby epennington » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello All,
I am a journalist in the early stages of my career. I cover refugee, human-rights and conflict issues. I am 22 years old and working with an artist on a project which I adore and work as a communications manager for. The project is called Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow and asks refugees to draw their past, present and future lives.

As a result, I travel to refugee camps and work with refugees who often draw the horrors of their past and their stories are equally as traumatic. I've been travelling to camps in Serbia and Morocco over the past 10 months. I am going to Bosnia in February.

I am aware that I have the symptoms of vicarious trauma because at times, I get 'flashbacks' of the images or imagine the situations that the drawings depict. My parents cannot relate so I don't speak with them about it.

One of the stories I heard in Serbia back in February 2018 was horrifying and it was the first one I had heard. I saw the person's image again last week and it has really affected my mood since as I have been very 'up and down.'

Just venting a little I guess

rockinghorse

Re: Vicarious Trauma

Postby rockinghorse » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 am

That sounds very frightening, you must have heard a lot of harrowing stories. You are putting yourself in their situation, going to refugee camps etc. You have a lot of empathy with these people and that’s nice but it may be detrimental to your own health. I can only suggest that when you feel down about these things, maybe try to focus on the good you are doing. You are taking the time and effort to meet these people and hear their stories and their hopes and dreams. What you’re doing may in time contribute to a brighter future for them.
I’m sorry I haven’t got anything more useful. Good luck with your project and I hope you start to feel better soon

epennington

Re: Vicarious Trauma

Postby epennington » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you - no very helpful. For me it's important to be reminded of the good I am doing.

Thank you and Blessings

Return to “Safe Room”