Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How do I cope after a robbery

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
bobbyw96

How do I cope after a robbery

Postby bobbyw96 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi, I am female, 22 and have suffered much sexual abuse and depression in my life. I came downstairs this morning to find my house had been robbed. I heard someone around 2am outside of my bedroom trying the handle but I assumed it was a house mate and ignored it. Turns out all my house mates were out and had I not locked my door I could have had an intruder in my bedroom. I go to the bathroom with a knife in my hand, I walk down to my kitchen with a knife also. I havent been able to leave my room, I am locked in in fear and I can't even bring myself to venture out for some food. I want to scream and cry, What if it happens again? what if next time they hurt me like other men have. I am filled with anxiety and I do not know what to do.

upwards-is-the-aim

Re: How do I cope after a robbery

Postby upwards-is-the-aim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 pm

You remind yourself that a robber is an incident not an ongoing state of affairs

Not a nice incident and yes one that could reoccur

Better locks on your doors - panic alarms

Any of your own ideas
Trying to help and be supportive to others on this forum is one of my attempts to reduce my own depression. Getting ourselves out of our own head circles is usually a good thing to do. Maybe try it yourself

rsxo

Re: How do I cope after a robbery

Postby rsxo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi there,

Sorry to hear what happened, that's terrible. I think it's important to note that it's a single event, unlikely to happen again at the same place by the same person. Make sure to lock up every night from now on, report to police etc - all the standard things to do after being robbed. It'll be tough, but you can keep going on from this :)

Much love <3
RSxo <3

Return to “Safe Room”