Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Feeling trapped and isolated

For when you're feeling particularly vulnerable...
brs191

Feeling trapped and isolated

Postby brs191 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 am

I am currently in my final year at uni and i have suffered from depression and anxiety for 4 years, for the majority of this time i have been prescribed fluoxetine and propanolol. I have always struggled to open up to people about having depression and anxiety as many don't seem to understand it, including my family. Some of my family know that i have it, but are the type of people that think you should just 'cheer up'. Recently, a person on my course took his own life and it really hit home as i have had a number episodes where i have thought about suicide. Friends on my course have since been talking about this subject and much of what they say has made me feel isolated as they can't understand it and don't see it as an illness and i feel like i am unable to open up to anyone that i know.

bexylouise

Re: Feeling trapped and isolated

Postby bexylouise » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am

Im sorry you struggling atm i understand university must be stressful. I know its hard being around people who dont seem to understand. If you dont feel you can directly talk face to face with someone you know try writing it down or typing it and pass it to them. With university you should try contact your student services and see what they can offer for you even though you wont know them having someone to talk to. I understand as im in my second year of university and really am struggling with depression and anxiety. I hope things get better for you and someone starts to understand

amaya

Re: Feeling trapped and isolated

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:33 am

Do you have a therapist that you can talk to about this?

Return to “Safe Room”