Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Rick's Journal

For poetry, art, writing, music - your own or others'

Re: Rick's Journal

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 am

While I was exploring my past regarding what I needed to improve, I realized that I hesitated a lot. I thought about a lot of changes and got many great ideas but, after some hesitation, I never went through them. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people reading this. Whenever we do something new, we tend to hesitate since we doubt ourselves and wonder if this idea was good or not.

When we hesitate, we often think about the worst case scenarios if we went through with it. There might be good things but all our brain comes up with happened to be a list of bad thing. In essence, hesitation gives our brain time to come up with the list to help dissuade us. If we simply went through without hesitation, the list wouldn't show up and we likely would go through with it.

Now, this is essentially how brain is designed. It's built to protect us from danger and it worked very well for our ancestors who were hunting out in the wilderness. Basically, trying something new back then risked more. A mistake and they become some other creature's meal. That was the case then but no longer the case now. In many ways, failures nowadays doesn't meant immediate death.

I honestly don't think our brain has evolved. It still responds similarly as it had with our ancestors regarding pain, fear, pleasure and other responses. What changed is how our society operated and the technological advances we made over the centuries. We no longer run the risks of simply dying following a bad gamble. If anything, our current society rewards those who risks and never give up.

Hesitation no longer suits us nowadays when failures are basically lessons to get us further in life. Our brain might use hesitation to dissuade us but it's not always right due to how it's programmed. If we have a big dream, we shouldn't hesitate or there's a good chance it won't even get started. When you know you found your purpose, don't let hesitation stop you!

Postby rick-amateur » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 am

-Hesitation 2-

Here are some ways I believe can help people overcome hesitation. Like most things in life, we need to figure out why we are hesitating. There are generally two reasons for why we hesitate, though there are a lot more other reasons depending on the person involved. The first reason is the lack of confidence. This is quite common where we aren't certain of our abilities to do a certain thing.

This lack of confidence might be due to low self-esteem or failures that were never forgotten. When we try to do something new, it's not hard to think back to our failures and begin doubting our abilities to do so. The fear of more failure easily transitions hesitation to outright rejection. No one want to fail and, as a result, the only route would be not taking action at all.

The second reason is the lack of courage. We lack courage to face our fears and the uncertainty. We might fear embarrassment following failure. In our society, many people want the approval of others. In a classroom setting, the person who stands out the most is usually the weirdo or the class clown, neither of which are really desirable for most people.

Regarding lack of confidence, people must know that they have the potential. They must also remember that things they could do confidently in the present wasn't always like that. For instance, people don't know how to bike when they were born. They had to learn and, after a few falls with some scrapes and cuts, master biking. This is the same with everything else as they're no different from biking.

As for lack of courage, people are braver than they think. This is often seen when they try out new things in life. This might be trying out a new cuisine or go to a new environment. For many people, the transition from elementary school to high school wasn't exceptionally smooth. It's a pretty big change with the pacing and the subjects learned. If people are adapt to these transitions, they can adapt to many other things and just have to believe in themselves.

In addition, the fear is natural because how's our brain is wired. Being fearful is part of being human but we mustn't let fear control our lives. This allows an emotion take over our decision making as opposed to our rational side or our gut. Our gut always have the best intention in mind while fear only gives our the options of fight or flee, neither of which are optimal when we try to pursue a dream.

The fear and confidence can be overcome by making small goals. Big dreams won't happen overnight but they are still made up of small building blocks. The building blocks can be accomplished each day and each of these achievements chase away a bit more fear and builds up a bit more confidence. Take these small steps and, before you know it, you have reached a certain milestone you never thought you can reach.

Postby rick-amateur » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 am

Procrastination is basically delaying or putting off something until the last minute. I'm sure people reading this have experienced procrastination in their lives. I'm one of those people still working hard to change procrastination and it's a slow process. After all, we all know the difficulty of changing a bad habit which seemed to easy to adopt in the first place.

One of the main reasons why we procrastinate is due to the "I don't feel like it." We all heard people responding when we asked them if they did their homework or performed a certain chore. Now, why don't we feel like doing it? First, we lack the motivation to do the certain action. I firmly believe that things we need motivation to be done won't ever be done.

Motivation rarely lasts long and, when we lack it, we lose whatever got us started in the first place, assuming we started. Given how unreliable motivation can be, it's not a good enough reason to get something done. A better reason is fighting for a better future. A person who works full-time while studying will study harder than those who live with their parents and don't have such a heavy financial burden.

Essentially, those who are faced with problems like starvation and homelessness won't need more motivation to work hard. No amount of motivation for someone who's more fortunate can rival such a desperation. That's partially why I haven't done as well in school and I know there are people out there who invested more time and effort in school than me. We don't need more motivation in our lives. We need a better reason for why we are doing certain things.

Secondly, boredom also promotes procrastination. Many people like me see homework as boring so we procrastinate. We of course never procrastinate when we are doing fun things. When was the last time we put off the invitation of a party or an event related to our hobbies at the very last minute? For things that are boring, we don't see it as exciting and that's usually a good enough reason to delay it until it's unavoidable.

Procrastination really hinders our ability to move forward, especially for our dreams. Our dreams might be big and need five or ten years to become a reality. When we keep putting it off to start, we'll never get started and we cannot finish if we never start. The start of a dream is usually dull and boring so we need more than motivation to get started. Then, we also need a why to keep us going.

Postby rick-amateur » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 am

-Procrastination 2-

Here are some other reasons we use to justify our procrastination. We might claim we don't know how to do something. That's clearly not a good reason since, in life, we don't have all the answers. Yet, that shouldn't stop us from moving forward. How many of us know how we should study or excel at school? How many of us start a job knowing how to do every single task?

The how actually becomes irrelevant because we'll learn how eventually. We need to have a good mindset heading in. This mindset sees us learning everything we can and mastering skills that will benefit us the most. We must also accept that mistakes will be made and learn from them. Life has an interesting way to showing us the how when we move forward. If we are too afraid to make the first step, even life couldn't show the how to us.

There are also situations where people do all this research about a certain thing and feel overwhelmed. Our internet has so much information and much of it will be useless for you. They won't benefit you in your journey leading to your dream and filling them in your brains means less useful info can fit it. Doing some research can be good but it's far better going head in and do research along the way for things you actually encounter.

Another reason is the fear of failure. This is closely tied to not knowing how. If we don't know how, we think up the worst case scenario. At school, we might think we'll fail and drop out. At work, we might worry about being fired for making a terrible mistake. There might be nothing supporting these but our imagination can be powerful and convinces us that there's a good chance of these happening.

Ironically, there are also people who fear of succeeding. Now, I have never experienced this and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. However, I have encountered people with this issue. They worry that, by getting a certain task done, the expectations are higher for them. When the bars are raised and they fail to reach them, they fear that people might accuse them of cheating the first time.

In life, we cannot hope to stay where we are all the time. That's the only way we truly fail in life. We cannot move forward if we choose to anchor exactly where we stand. Now, success is a good thing if we use it to keep working harder. We all want and need a chance to shine. There's nothing better than tapping into your potential and have people who recognize your worth.

It's one thing to find success and another to maintain this success. Then, it's something altogether different to reach newer heights after your initial success. We all have a purpose of inspiring the new generations so they want to pursue on these difficult journeys leading to their own definition of success. When we stand still, we become nobodies and no one want to be nobodies in our world.

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 am

-Procrastination 3-

I want to discuss how I think we should deal with procrastination so it won't hinder our lives. One of the reasons causing procrastination is fear. We have fear of failure, fear of success and fear of uncertainty to name a few. When we let fear govern our decision making, we very easily think of the worst case scenarios that, while very unlikely, will stop us in our tracks of doing something.

These worst case scenarios can get so bad we actually see the act of doing something having the potential to kill us. We must remember that times have changed and things we procrastinate usually don't kill us. Let's use dreams as an example. Let's say you have an "unconventional" dream of being a singer or a writer. It's true that, when you start and before you become famous, your life will be tough.

You will be scraping by and making do of little to no income while you try to make your dream a reality. You need to constantly work hard and improve yourself. That and a little bit of luck will eventually see you succeed. However, scraping by is different from trying to survive in an environment where you are a prey to other animals.

Our ancestors, those from a time where civilization was just starting and much of the world is still wilderness, faced these kind of threats. A mistake by them might see them eaten by wolves or bears. They can ill-afford mistakes since they have only one shot at life. Nowadays, we cannot say the same since most of the mistakes we make won't kill us. If anything, these mistakes make us stronger as a result.

When we pursue a dream, we often travel a lonely journey faced with numerous obstacles. I never said such a journey would be easy but we don't face the threat of death like our ancestors did. That's why, despite the impression that our brain is protecting us, we must convince it otherwise with logic and rationale. Our brain is different from those of other animals due to our ability to better reason with ourselves and each other.

Here's one instance where internet can be useful. We can search up stories of people who achieved feats similar to our dreams. If we read about their stories, we see the hardships they encounter but, more often than not, most of these hardships don't come close to death. At the very least, they usually don't rival the worst case scenarios we thought up of due to our incredible imagination.

When fear is causing our procrastination, we need to do some research. Not too much or we'll never get started. We need to learn if there's any reason supporting the fear and not let the most unlikely scenario dictate how we approach an issue. When we can tackle the source of our fear, we'll allow our rationale, not fear, decide our future!

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 am

-Procrastination 4-

This entry, I want to talk about procrastination caused by boredom or the "I don't feel like it" mentality. For both of these, we need to figure out our why. Not everyone needs a why to rid procrastination but I feel a stronger why can help many people who find themselves procrastinating regarding things like pursuing a dream they always wanted.

Regardless of what dreams we have, the beginning will be tough, dull and won't see us make much progress in our pursuit. For those who have started on their dreams, it's usually this stage when they give up. Things weren't as exciting as they believed it was initially. After all, we might pursue something we saw on the internet or television and those are the success stories.

We must remember that the start will get tough and might be filled with boredom. We must plan, make goals and do things that weren't fun. For instance, I have a YouTube channel. I enjoy making the recordings but those are only part of my tasks. I must also edit and, if the recordings didn't go well, I must redo the recordings. There are times when I have to make the same recordings multiple times until the sound quality is acceptable given my equipment.

We'll also encounter mistakes early on and these mistakes make it worse. We not only feel bad about being a "failure" but we also develop doubt in ourselves. We don't like the feeling of "failing" and these can discourage us enough that we give up altogether. For other dreams, they have their own frustrations and lack the short-term gains people often desperately search for and needing to justify their decision to walk this path.

At the start, we are building a foundation necessary to our success. The foundation is hard work that doesn't feel especially satisfying but we cannot ignore it. Imagine a high rise with a terrible foundation. How much trust would you put into something that can collapse onto itself because someone took shortcuts and didn't do the work need?

What gets us to build a strong foundation is our why. Why do I make videos and write these entries? I want to help people by providing a perspective and start a discussion. Too often, I heard stories of people suffering mental illnesses state they cannot find a place they can belong to. These people search for forums but I feel there's only so much that can be accomplish with words typed on a screen.

I want to make videos and podcasts where people can hear others talk about serious issues. We aren't always in the mood of reading something but we can listen. If someone cannot sleep, they can maybe turn on one of my podcasts and listen. They can hear how they aren't alone. They can also see both the similarities and difference between themselves and others with similar problems.

Having suffered but being fortunate to not deal with as serious issues as many others here, I think I have a duty to help those who seek for help. We cannot always expect the government to do something about mental health issues so us ordinary people have to stand up for it. That's my why so I'm not going to stop until I make my dream come true.

As soon as our why involves more than us, we stop fighting for ourselves. When we fight for only ourselves, we give up easily if we don't want to deal with it anymore. When we fight for other people too, we are constantly reminded that we cannot give up for their sake. That belief is what separates those reaching their dreams and those who give up shortly after they started!

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:09 am

In our lives, we all experience situations where people tell us to make realistic goals and realistic dreams. We shouldn't be dreamers and do crazy things. I heard this countless time and had agreed to it for a long time. Yet, times have changed and, after experiencing some lessons taught to me by life itself, I began to hate it when people tell me to be realistic with my future.

After all, what do they mean by realistic? Whose standard is this realistic based upon? What is realistic to one person might be unrealistic for another person. I'm a pretty skinny guy so it's unrealistic to see me lifting weights like I do it regularly. For those training for years, it's realistic for them. Until we define what's meant by realistic, we are basically sending the wrong message to people.

We each have our strengths and weaknesses so a vague term like realistic simply doesn't work. Our society has a mold which is considered realistic for everyone. We go to school, get a degree and then get a job. This is the most realistic view our society promotes, especially through our schools. Anything that strays from this path is unrealistic and frowned upon.

We must remember that not everyone can study and do well in exams. I'm one of those people who can do alright but it's not how I learn. The way schools teach and test are probably the worst match for me. On the contrary, I learn best with things I enjoy and I self teach myself. With my YouTube channel and website, I learn from guides online and obtained more useful things than what I can grasp from my lectures.

This is likely the case for many other people where the school environment doesn't suit them. They cannot sit still and need other ways of learning which is why our schools must diversify how classes are taught. If we use the same standards for all students, some will fail since they cannot excel in such an environment. This is especially bad for the newer generations who, after failing, get the idea they are stupid and worthless.

I was fortunate to learn from experience that I'm not stupid and worthless. I've merely been pursuing the wrong path and stumbled every bit of the way. I'm charting a proper course now and would have been on the way long ago if schools were so terribly structured and forcing its students into a mold. I have learned that the realistic expectations, goals and dreams society expect of us don't suit me so I'll walk my own path!

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:14 am

-Realistic 2-

Last entry, I talked how we shouldn't let society or other people decide what's realistic for us. What's possible for one person might not be for another. We know ourselves best or, at the very least, we are in the best position to discover who we are. The early stages of our life are discovering what we are truly capable of but this cannot be achieved by going to school.

Sadly, schools nowadays are aimed to teach us what to think and not how to think. They emphasis this mold we must fit into or we'll be outcasts and failures in our society. We can only discover who we are by seeing more of the world with our own two eyes, not through a monitor or screen. Only by seeing more of this world and meeting more people can we slowly piece together what makes us unique in this world.

For this entry, I want to talk about us setting realistic goals for ourselves. This is the realistic we determined for ourselves. We have picked what we wanted to pursue in life and what awaits us is to get there step by step. To get there, we make goals for ourselves and, by accomplishing each goal, we get closer and closer until the dream is a reality. However, goal setting isn't as easy as many people think it might be.

When we set unrealistic goals, we get into a situation where we don't meet it and get discouraged. Discouragement can be so powerful that many people give up on their dreams due to it. When we set proper goals, we can avoid this altogether. Now, you might wonder what I meant by unrealistic goals. One example would be expecting ten thousand loyal subscribers within the first month of making a YouTube channel. This isn't impossible but your odds are probably worse than winning a lottery.

There are unreasonable expectations in life and we must realize them. Too many people nowadays expect success instantly or very early on. Unrealistic goals are generally those that support these crazy expectations. When these aren't met, those people no longer think they can do it when they are actually experiencing what anybody else would experience in their situation. Some might get faster growth but, generally, the start is the toughest.

I personally believe that the early goals for people, regardless of what they pursue, is to make as many mistakes as possible and learn from them as quickly as possible. Early on, we shouldn't be expecting any success and, instead, learn how to build a strong foundation. Any success is just a bonus but we shouldn't expect these to happen.

It's through making mistakes and getting through the learning stages that we learn what goals we can set for ourselves. It's never a bad idea to set smaller goals but there's a difference between smaller and low goals. Small goals are merely breaking things down so we can see progress easier and build confidence through them. Low goals are lowering our expectations and killing any momentum we could have by playing too safe.

Setting goals is never easy and it's a constant learning process. The successful people nowadays are those who made plenty of mistakes and set goals they can reach. That's why we shouldn't be too focused on goal setting at the very beginning since we tend to make them unrealistic. Instead, we should learn when we can afford mistakes and become better informed in the matter to set better goals.

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 am

Instinct has been with us humans for thousands of years. This has kept our ancestors from way back when alive against all the dangers posed in the environment they lived it. These dangers are usually in the form of wild animals that are bigger, faster and stronger than our ancestors. One mistake would see a human being a meal for these wild creatures.

I wish to talk about instinct because there has been mentions for a number of my entries regarding gut feeling. I spoke about how we should trust our gut in pursuing our dreams. Our gut feelings are very accurate like certain dangerous situations and we might not know what's happening. Our gut tells us to flee and, by listening to it, we avoid unfavorable fate.

Yet, our gut can also dash our dreams and this contradicts with what I said in the last paragraph. Essentially, our instinct is a double-edged sword and can work either way. It's a matter of how we use our instinct that determines whether we'll find success or not. While the part of our brain controlling our instincts haven't changed much since our ancestors, other parts of our brain have developed and we should use all of them.

We see our instinct as a feeling where we don't have logic. It's that sixth sense people talk about but couldn't explain. Then, we have other parts of the brain that process the information and use a logical approach to figure out the best approach. When we see an accident up ahead blocking off an intersection, our brain tells us to turn so we can avoid it altogether.

There are some situations where we shouldn't question instinct because the split second decision might be the difference between life and death. There are also other situations where our life isn't at risk but the fear within us equate the scenario to that of getting eaten by predators. The latter situation is where we must process the information from our instinct to see if the fear has basis or not.

We have examples of where we do suppress some of the messages sent by our instincts. We have soldiers who are going on dangerous missions. Their instinct will tell them how dangerous the mission can be but they still proceed forward. Not only are lots at stake depending on their mission's outcome but the actions promoted by instincts will likely spell failure due to how oversimplified our instincts makes in our decision making, either fight or flight.

Postby rick-amateur » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 am

-Instinct 2-

I wish to discuss the fear related to our instinct. When we get into situations that are dangerous, our instinct tells us to fight or flee. More often than not, we are told to flee because it's the safer of the two options. Fighting might see us wounded or killed so it's a last resort when we have no other options. It's exactly this flee mentality that affects so many people in their decision making.

For our ancestors from a much unforgiving environment, instinct will increase their odds of survival. Nowadays, we live in a much different world. Sure, we have dangers like criminals in cities and wild predators in the wilderness. These dangers still linger but, for the majority of the people nowadays, we don't face close to the amount of dangers faced by our ancestors. As a result, we don't need to rely on instinct as heavily.

Uncertainty is one of the biggest causes for our fears nowadays. We don't know how the future will hold and this can be a very terrifying experience. Yet, many things we deal with now cannot equate with what our ancestors felt. Therefore, it makes no sense when we are using the same decision making as our ancestors where flee or fight are the only two options available to us.

Sadly, our society promote an image where making mistakes can equate to a fate as bad, if not worse, as death. Our schools tell us to not make mistakes and those who make a few too many drop out. Exams are used to test how few mistakes you can make. These standards aren't suitable for everyone but our society has reached a stage where making mistake is frowned upon and too many people fail life as a result. No progress can be made by those who fear mistakes and that's been proven over and over again in history.

This image promoted by society and our instincts kicking in when we attempt something new basically reinforce each other until we are fully convinced with what we're told. Our instincts are outdated in certain aspects which is understandable but we have no reason to keep our way of thinking primitive. We aren't making progress if only technological advances are made and no improvements are made to our minds and ideas.

Therefore, we must learn when we can trust the judgement of our instinct. Nobody can teach us that except the experiences we have in life. Instinct has saved lives but it has also destroyed lives. Essentially, we shouldn't completely rely on it. There are other parts of our brain that can be used in decision making but, regardless of which parts you're using, don't let society or others control how you think. Nothing in life is perfect so we should question things to see if they're valid or not. As for our own lives, no one knows it best than ourselves!

Return to “Creative Corner”