Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Returning to work

Ask, explore, query, share
bexismindfull

Returning to work

Postby bexismindfull » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:09 am

Hey guys,

I’ve got a question to fire away. I’ll tell you a little about my background to give you some context. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for 10 years plus. In August 2015 I had a breakdown which made me suffer with self harm, insomnia, suicidal thoughts and the like. At the end of the year I lost two very important grandparents. I was signed off work until April 2016. Then I attempted a 4-week phased return to work. Unfortunately this failed and I then was forced to take a career break due to my mental health. In January 2017 my Dad passed away unexpectedly. I’m now trying to return to work in March and really want to be successful.

I’m a nurse and love my job and really miss it but have been off work for over 2& 1/2 years struggling. Does anyone have any tips about returning to work? Any nurses on here who have also been off work for a while and managed to transition back to the workplace. I welcome any support, advice and signposting! Looking forward to hearing from you lovely lot.

Thanks,

Becky ❤️

amaya

Re: Returning to work

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 am

I would definitely join your union from the beginning and take all the advice and support that is available to you from them. Probably Unison.

See if there is a local Mind in your area and what support they can offer. Also what activities they have so that you can first build up what you do in a more pleasurable way before having to sustain that activity in the workplace.. make stepping stones for yourself. Doesn't even have to been Mind, but it might be the best starting place.

Make looking after you the priority and not work. Then you will be able to work. If you let work be the priority you will suffer from stress and not look after yourself and eventually have to stop with work again.

Remember that your best is always good enough.

Cyprus

Re: Returning to work

Postby Cyprus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Becky
Wishing you well with your return to work just returned back myself to work
My tips don’t take on to much to soon make sure you have regular breaks to eat and drink I offen go for a walk around the block at lunch just to get away
Surround yourself with the good guys at work and take everyday one day at a time for me it’s how tired I am at the end so do relaxing things treat yourself x have a few friends who are nurse so realise how stressful it can be I have a named person that I can see once a week so I get vent stops any pressures about Work building up x let us know how it goes cyprus

Return to “Information Exchange”