Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Counselling and psychiatrists

Ask, explore, query, share
tll

Counselling and psychiatrists

Postby tll » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering if someone can give me some more information about these kinds of services?

I've been to a few different counsellors but found it very difficult and didn't go to many sessions. I want to try anything that will help but I don't know really how to approach counselling. Can anyone explain the types of things I can expect from counsellors and how I could approach these kinds of sessions in order to increase the chances of me going back?

The other thing is, what is the difference between counsellors and psychiatrists?

Sorry if my questions are vague, I think I find it difficult to explain what I'm trying to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

wingsunfurling

Re: Counselling and psychiatrists

Postby wingsunfurling » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm

I’m not sure I can provide a very helpful answer, but it may help if you can say why you didn’t want to go back to your previous counsellors.

I’ve tried various therapists over the years and I get the feeling it depends on finding a therapist and a therapeutic method that you are comfortable with. For me I’d look for somebody with lots of experience and qualifications. Someone who’s probably a bit ‘alternative’ and someone who’s probably been though it themselves.

You may prefer someone who’s young and idealistic and knows all the latest techniques.

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi tll,

I think it's important to explain what each role does.

Counselling psychology is based on the idea that answers are within you. The counsellor's role is to invite you to talk about your feelings, and thus unlock where issues may lie. In this way, you both can work out the best way forward.

Psychiatrists are more interested in the diagnosis, prevention and management of mental health issues. Based on their previous experiences with patients and theories, they will discuss and inform you of the best way to deal with your mental health issues.

Overall, the main difference is where the answers to your issues and problems come from. Counselling believes it lies within you, psychiatrists believe it is based on "universal" knowledge.

Much love <3
RSxo <3

tll

Postby tll » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks to both of you - you were both very helpful.

I think I struggled with the people I've met before because I didn't feel comfortable, or that I could really talk through things easily with them. From what I've heard it can be a bit trial and error finding someone who you're comfortable with.

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Psychiatrists deal with medication and diagnosis. They are usually your case handler if you are registered with a mental health service.

Psychologists provide therapy in a group or individually and depending on their personal views may be more or less concerned with diagnosis.

The best idea is to get a referral to a team where the two work together for your benefit.

tll

Postby tll » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for your help amaya

amaya

Postby amaya » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pm

It can be hard to find the right click with a professional sometimes. But it is also important to have the right diagnosis and the right therapy first.. often what is hard to get along with it the way that the treatment works more than the person you see. For some therapy the therapist must make a connection with the client, for others distance is more important. So the therapeutic relationship is not like a normal working relationship.

Return to “Information Exchange”