Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Advice needed re driving...panic!

Ask, explore, query, share
lauli

Advice needed re driving...panic!

Postby lauli » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi all.
Im new here so hello :) my name is lauli. I have bipolar disorder. Diagnosed 2009. I wasnt told at that point to declare to dvla and i genuinely didnt even think of it. Since diagnosis i have not had any full blown manic episodes, never been hospitalised, i comply with my med regime and only under care of GP although she is referring me to psych to see if tgey can offer me some cbt. I never drive if im feeling remotely hypomanic. I have had depressive epusodes but never attemoted suicide or anything. My GP has also never said to me not to drive or that i should inform dvla etc. This week as i was reading sometging else online i read some infornation which said if u have bipolar u have to declare to dvla or get 1000 fine. I called them first thing thus morning and she said its ok ill make a note of it and pop the form in the post. Fill it out and retyrn it within 2 weeks and we will let u know about your license after contacting your doc if necessary..im in a conplete state about it wobdering if im a) going to get a fine (she mentioned nothing about this,) b) if my lucense will be revoked as i am a carer for my disabled husband and we have three children and live rurally.
Ive never had an accident related to my condition. The only thing in my 9 years of driving was a bump in to someones back bumper which was dealt with swiftly.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me because the more i think about it and panic about it the more im getting in to a state.
Thank you so much
Lauli :|

amaya

Re: Advice needed re driving...panic!

Postby amaya » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Don't worry. Loads of people have bipolar and drive. I am not sure if you legally have to inform the DVLA at all to be honest. But in any case a letter from your GP saying that you are fine to drive should be all that is necessary if the DVLA ever query it.

neppymum

Re: Advice needed re driving...panic!

Postby neppymum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Sorry, but you do need to declare it. That does not mean that you wont be allowed to drive, but you do need to declare it. See

https://www.bipolaruk.org/faqs/can-i-dr ... ve-bipolar

Return to “Information Exchange”