Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

St. John's wort and 5-HTP

Ask, explore, query, share
Amelie

St. John's wort and 5-HTP

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi there- I have suffered with depression on and off for years but last 2 years have used St. John's wort and lightbox with effectiveness instead of SSRIs which gave me side effects. However, my mood has dropped lately. My doctor wants me to try sertraline but I've read that 5-HTP can possibly be used with St. John's wort safely? Has anyone used both together? I'm also increasing the exercise I do. Be great if I could recover without need to go back on chemical antidepressants which would prob give me side effects again. Grateful for any feedback and information, thanks.

amaya

Re: St. John's wort and 5-HTP

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:26 pm

I am not sure, but St John's Wort can be powerful stuff, I would ask the doctor to be on the safe side. Or google research on it, good research, not anecdotal stuff from forums like here haha

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Well- I tried 5-HTP last night, alongside my usual morning dose of St. John's wort. It was pretty horrible experience. Took hours to get to sleep as got hot and restless. Then had awful nightmares, and woke up late for school run feeling like I had bad hangover. Won't be trying again and don't recommend mixing erg anything else!
Am now doing chemical roulette again and starting sertraline (not with anything else!). Fingers crossed side effects not too bad.

amaya

Postby amaya » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

Did you take a break of a few days in between to let the st john's wort out of your system?
I hope the sertraline will work well for you. It has for me in the past.

Return to “Information Exchange”