Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Mental illness can affect us all

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
gonegirl

Re: Mental illness can affect us all

Postby gonegirl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Imogen hi

I would like to tell you how amazing I think you are for being so strong coping with all the pressure involved in caring for your parents. It's fantastic how well you did with your results. Hold onto how amazing you are for achieving that. You definitely would benefit from some sort of support and your doctor should provide you with access to this.
Have you visited the 'Mind' charity website? It seems to have much more up to date information and a phone number you can call for help. There will be many like you. It's natural and quite expected that it would take its toll on your emotions and affect life. I believe you will be wiser than many who never care for anyone but themselves. Please have faith that you are not alone and that your future will be bright and beautiful. I'm sure of it. My daughter is 13 and I have ensured she has someone at school she can trust and confide in at times I go through my bad spells. It is definately important you find the right support and I know it does exist.

It might be worth posting this in the newbie room as more active members use that room. You may get a more helpful response. Just wanted to make sure I acknowledged you here. Stay strong and keep the faith x

jcar36

Postby jcar36 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

Hello.
I'm new to this and I'm really just after some support and advice. My mum has paranoid schizophrenia, for the past 20 years it has been 'managed' by her medication and she has been able to live in her own house within a support community and has lived her own life. However this horrible illness is trying to beat her at the minute. I have never seen her like this, it's like she's a completely different person. I am getting lots of distressed phone calls from her saying she's been shot and that my son has been killed. At first I disagreed with her telling her these things hadn't happened, more because it upset me hearing them but I no longer disagree with her as I don't want to upset or confuse her further. I'm very lucky in that I have a wonderful family and friends who listen but I need to talk to people who actually are going through this so I can get an idea of how to possibly help more. Thank you for reading my ramblings!

mezzaninedoor

Postby mezzaninedoor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 am

Ive just read this pinned topic for the first time and theirs an awful lot of brave people out there, either battling as sufferers or as carers.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us all.

summerof69notts

Postby summerof69notts » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I've just posted as I could scream as my mum is getting ill once again.

We've only had a couple of months respite since she 'got better' after her last episode (she's had depressive episodes for the past 44 years) and here we go again - meaning months and months of her behaviour making me, my husband and children, my darling and long suffering dad, my brother and his girlfriend, mum and dad's close friends feel totally shit, frustrated, emotionally drained, causing rows between us - having us run around after her while she gets more and more irrational and demanding - and when she's 'better' being expected to forgive and forget and carry on once more as 'normal'...

I don't know how much more my dad can take - he's threatened to leave her so many times over the years but always stays as he knows I'd end up with the burden of her - but I wouldn't ever blame him if he did. He's not had the life he deserves and he's in his early 70's now and time's running out for him...if he goes first my life will be hell, and that's no exaggeration. Horrible as it sounds I hope he outlives mum so he can have a few years of peace and being able to do what he wants.

Mental health truly does affect everyone around that person.

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Somehow I missed your post, and nobody else has replied. I really feel bad about it, but at least Ive read it now. If you're still around I'll reply to you properly. I hope your mother's not become as bad as you were predicting, and that your Christmas went well. x

india

Postby india » Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 am

Hi I've been with my boyfriend for nearly six years we have two little boys and even been engaged and also he asked me again a year ago. We've been going through this for the whole time we've been together but he is actually in denial that he is depressed but when under the influence of alcohol he tells me he is depressed and thinks about ending his life almost everyday but it's his sons that stop him from doing this. There is a pattern with him he will get really low and then one thing that wasn't a big deal will make him walk out our lives or he will do something purposely that will split us up and he'll blame me for everything insult me and so on he's even told me he doesn't love me etc, then a few weeks will pass and then he comes back telling me how much he loves me and and we are everything to him, hes full of affection and so on but then 6-8 months later sometimes less we're back to square one again. When we're together we don't argue he treats me to holidays city breaks for birthdays and valentines day we go out for meals etc. It'll firstly start off wirh him not speaking he stops all affection no more telling me he loves me he gets angrier goes away to his bed really early. At the moment he has been away from us for nearly 5 weeks but still comes to see our sons doesn't speak to me and doesn't make eye contact but will text me asking me things nothing to do with us or what he's doing though, just now he's putting on a front acting like he's happy that he's not in a relationship or living with us which he usually does and puts everything into his work and training to keep him busy then the angry stage with the nasty texts etc will come then him wanting back. The thing is there are mental health issues in his family such as schizophrenia and also depression, but he will not go to the doctors he did go once but didn't open up and tell the doctor everything so the doctor thought it was just day to day stresses that everyone goes through. Even though he blames me I know it's not down to me because he was like this before I met him and thought he had manic depression but yet he'll still put all the blame on me etc and be in denial about everything he'll also lie and keep things from me and even accuse me of things that's never happened. Right now I'm at a point whether I walk away for good or hang on to see if he'll actually get help the hard thing is that I love him so much and we have two little boys, right now I don't contact him unless it's about our boys I'm hoping the space will give him time to think but then again there's also a chance that he won't get help and then move onto someone else. It's such a hard thing to go through especially when kids are involved but how can he help us if he wont help himself.......

stanley

Postby stanley » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am

Mental illness can strike anyone.Mental health disorders are the leading cause of disability in many countries.Depression is the most common mental health problem,affecting millions of American children and adults annually.

mich1310

Postby mich1310 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi everyone I am new here. My 20 year old suffers from depression,anxiety, anger issues. I am at my wits end. He won’t talk to anyone or get help. He says it is pointless. He says he hates his life, is never happy and would be better off dead.

I am so scared a lot of the time. He has terrible rages, not as often as when he was younger. He had Tourette’s and tic disorder from When he was about 10. This has largely gone but he still has habits’ that cause him pain. Ie tongue scraping and finger bending.

He has a job and functions ok a lot of the time. I just want to know how to help him. It’s breaking my heart.

Any support appreciated, I never know if I am saying or doing the right thing,

Thanks

mihaela

Postby mihaela » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello and welcome. I've just replied to your other post. :)

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”