Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Mental illness can affect us all

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness

Mental illness can affect us all

Postby ModeratingTeam » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:17 pm

:| Caring for or concerned about someone experiencing a mental health issue? You're not alone.

As you may know, supporting someone with mental health problems can be hard. It can be draining, frustrating, isolating and distressing at times. So here is a place to share feelings, exchange views and opinions and find mutual support from those who may be in similar situations.
Moderating Team
ModeratingTeam
Site Admin

Re: Mental illness can affect us all

Postby parlicoot » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 pm

How true. Hello to anyone else concerned about family/friends etc suffering from MH probs. I'm having a tough weekend, phone blocked to my off -the -wall son. His partner is desperate and I can't help. The kids are in the middle - all I do is worry.
I'm in the throes of coming off anti-d's, and it's getting hard. But the situation never changes, so I have to learn to cope. Anyone else in the same boat? I do find it helpful to put it all down here, knowing someone understands, I'm not alone, and advice and comfort is welcome. parlicoot
parlicoot

Postby satsumagirl » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:16 pm

That must be really tough parlicoot, but it sounds like you are coping with it so well. Are the kids still living with your son and his partner? Is your GP able to help you with coming off the anti- depressants today?

I am having a real attack of the black dog today- very down and also panicky. Lots of bad thoughts. Hopefully will feel better in the morning.

All the best,
satsumagirl
satsumagirl

Postby parlicoot » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 am

Hi Satsuma G, nice to hear from you. Hope you had a good night. My son got through last night, and was the other end of the scale. Hyper happy. Couldn't listen to anything I said. I just go with the flow. He's much nicer when he's happy, even if it is almost as grating as the other way!!
Yes the kids are there with them, aged 13 and 8. The 8 yr old is our grandson - a pure angel. And yes, my GP is taking great care of me, and my husband. She is a treasure.
I do hope you're better today. Big hug xxxxxx parlicoot
parlicoot

Postby satsumagirl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Parlicoot.

Am so glad your son is feeling a bit better, and that the GP is being helpful.

Am also feeling a bit better.Dealing with severe depression is by far the hardest thing I have ever done.

Let us know how you get on.

xx
satsumagirl
satsumagirl

Postby Mintchipmom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm dealing with an ex husband who seems to have Paranoid personality disorder, if that's the right description. He was on anti-depressants for several years, but it got to the point where I couldn't live with him any longer. Our children are either grown, or very close, but they are having a terrible time trying to have any relationship with him. Nothing anyone says to him seems to make any difference. He believes the whole world is wrong and he is right, that anyone who disagrees with himis doing it deliberately to upset him. He is always angry, full of hatred towards the world, and miserable. Fortunately, I live quite far from him now, but I would like to help him stop pushing our kids away from him also. He certainly doesn't seem anything like the person I married 26 years ago.
Mintchipmom

Postby witchferdie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:54 am

What would you do if you had a brother who you worship who is having MH problems who turned round and said that he made it all up and worst of all its all your fault?!
witchferdie

Postby deadchick07 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:43 am

indeed it does, i've been using services for my mental health issues for 19 years, and its not stopped me living, in fact, my disatisfaction led to my studying and working in community mental health, and for the last 5 years running a service for CARERS and families of people with mental health issues.

Its not the end of the road, give people driving lessons and a sat nav, mental health issues are just a roundabout with poor road signs!!!
I'm not mad, I'm furious

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
deadchick07

Postby scots07 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:55 am

hiya i am new to this, and i was wondering i have a uncle with schizophrenia and i would like to know if anyone can tell me abit more about it and what kinda help he can get . thanks
scots07

Postby yodel » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum
Just seen the psychiatrist with my husband today as he is experiencing a relapse :cry: and found out that my husband may have schizoaffective disorder. He's been ill for ten years and has had various labels including OCD, anxiety, depression and psychosis, but its never really been clarified what he has. has anyone else come across this? I feel that this label is given if nothing else fits.

Yodel :?
yodel

Next

Return to Family, Friends and Carers