Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

How do my family and I support my Dad?

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
prioritisingpositivity

How do my family and I support my Dad?

Postby prioritisingpositivity » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:16 pm

My Dad is 65 and retired last year. I am 22 and have previously been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Fortunately, I am in a much better place however I have noticed similar behavioural patterns in my Dad. Both myself, my Mum and my Sister have noticed changes in my Dad's behaviour. My father has always liked to be in control and quite often refuses to acknowledge support from others. Recently, his behaviour has become increasingly hostile and aggressive. This is not just towards family members but towards his friends and others. In his eyes he is okay and it is everyone else that has done something he believes is wrong. He has become more aggressive and his mood changes rapidly. As he won't accept support or listen to family and friends I was wondering whether anyone had any advice as my Mum is in tears and often feels afraid to be in the house with him. From my own mental health experiences I have tried to approach my father calmly and ask him if he's okay and advise on some techniques and lifestyle changes I myself used however he doesn't believe anything is wrong yet states that he feels unwell. His blood pressure has been high for years and I'm concerned that his mental health will continue to affect his physical health. If anyone has any advice, similar stories or contact details for organisations that can help me and my family then they will be most welcome as I knew I needed support where as my Dad doesn't and refuses to speak to any organisations, charities or the doctor.

Thanks & Stay strong lovelies!

L

capitalt

Re: How do my family and I support my Dad?

Postby capitalt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Have you tried MIND or other Carer Support organisations ?
I can identify with both sides, as it seems you can.
Often it's easier to see symptoms in others but not in ourselves.
Retirement brings massive changes, perhaps there are some interests your Dad could follow ?
Good luck.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”