Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Borderline Personality Disorder and Jet Lag

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
jgraced

Borderline Personality Disorder and Jet Lag

Postby jgraced » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

My mum suffers from borderline personality disorder. She's never been to treatment (mainly because she is very much in denial about her condition and has a bit of a stigma against mental illness, even if it's her own) but she's normally okay to deal with, especially once you know about the BPD. However, there's one situation where she becomes out of control and that's when she gets jet lagged. I first noticed this when I took a short international trip with her about 6 months ago. She was close to unbareable for the 4 days we were abroad and this continued once we returned home and she had to go through a change in sleeping cycle again. She threw some of the cruelest comments at me and to this day will never fully "apologize" for them (she's been known to say some fairly mean things in the past, but she normally reaches a lucid period and apologizes). She went on another international trip about 2 months later. I wasn't there for the trip and was away for a few days when she returned home, but even from the text messages and calls I had with her I could tell she was in a horrible headspace. Now she's left for another 2 week international trip and, given the messages I've been getting so far, I'm honestly very scared for when she returns home. That being said, I'm an adult in my mid-20's and know how to live with her; as difficult as it can be, she's still my mother and I love her with all my heart. I'm more worried about her being in a foreign country by herself in such a negative place. I'm worried she might do something irrational or dangerous. I'm also worried about the vicious things she says when she's in this type of mood and how she could potentially alienate herself and drive away loved ones who aren't sure how to handle her condition. And the worst part is that there's really no way to prevent her from traveling. It's part of her work. I'm not even sure if this whole situation is related to her BPD or to jet lag, but has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, as nice as that would be. I'm just looking for someone to talk to and for some sort of evidence that there could be a relation between jet lag and extreme BPD episodes.

mihaela

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder and Jet Lag

Postby mihaela » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry no-one has replied to you so far. It often happens on this forum as it's unmoderated, a bit disorganised and there aren't many regulars here and so posts get overlooked.

There certainly is a connection between PBD and jet-lag:

Atypical sleep deprivation, due to jet lag or important social activities, can trigger a hypomanic or manic phase of the disorder. This means that a person phases into the “high” gear of BPD, which is associated with adverse risk-taking behaviours, inflated senses of personal power or importance, and other potentially harmful behaviours. Conversely, too much sleep may initiate a depressive phase.

http://www.onlinepsychologydegree.info/ ... oms-worse/

It must be very worrying for you. x

jgraced

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder and Jet Lag

Postby jgraced » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank you for your reply! Like I said, I wasn't necessarily looking for a solution, just some sort of evidence that the two might be related. The link you posted was really helpful too. Besides the obvious sleep pattern disruption, I think a lot of the things on that list can happen due to traveling (changes in routine, external stimulation, stress, etc.) so it could be a combination of all those. She returned home recently and seems to be doing a little better than I've seen in the past. I hope that the more I learn about it, the more I can figure out the best way to help her. Thank you again for your help and concern! I really appreciate it! xx

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”