Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

My boyfriend is depressed but denies help.

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
tryingtomakesense

My boyfriend is depressed but denies help.

Postby tryingtomakesense » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm at a stage where I don't know what else to do. My boyfriend of 1year and a half has depression, he's always had mild depression but it's gotten so much worse lately. He says he has no motivation and doesn't want to leave the house, he said that the thought of going to university fills him with dread but he's also terrified of his family's expectations of him. I have tried absolutely everything to help but it's just gotten to a point where the only thing that's going to help is if he actively seeks out therapy or possibly medication. I've suggested this countless times but he denies that he's depressed and is adiment that it won't help.
I love him more than anything but I can't deal with his episodes on a daily basis, especially considering I have depression and GAD myself. Every time I try to talk to him about it he either gets extremely defensive or shuts down completely. I'm worried and in hopeless.

amaya

Re: My boyfriend is depressed but denies help.

Postby amaya » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

At that stage you actually can't do anything else. It is frustrating I know, and you must be worried. But try not to put too much pressure on him. If you have already given the advice leave him to his own decision. If you pressure it may make him more adamant not to do it. Try to find the things to do that you can enjoy together. If he can trust you to accept him and be there for him, he will hopefully open up in his own time.

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”