Search

Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

Sleep issues

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness
sooty

Sleep issues

Postby sooty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:43 am

My daughter has depression and high anxiety. When she is anxious, she can sleep for 24 hours without wanting food, drinks, her phone etc. Is that something that anyone else can relate to? I am trying to be supportive but don't know if I should be pushing her to get up and do stuff. It seems to me that sleeping is probably a safe way of dealing with her anxiety as she has self harmed in the past.

breatheinandout

Re: Sleep issues

Postby breatheinandout » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi sooty,

24 hours does seem a long time :) is she sleeping the whole time or just in bed? Just wondering as sometimes you just can't face the world and staying in bed is like a safe cocoon where you can be safe and warm and snug.

So like you say, it could be her way of coping. But also, gentle encouragement and showing you're there and you love her is important - food is important isn't it! Is she getting other support - therapy etc? It can also help to have things you want to do that motivate you to get up and engage with the world.

Lots of love
Biao
Why did i pick such a long username?! Do call me Biao :D

breatheinandout

Postby breatheinandout » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Sorry about the delay responding by the way, this forum can get a bit quiet and i haven't been online for a while myself x

rsxo

Postby rsxo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi sooty,

Has your daughter had any help from the GP? If not, then I think that needs to be strongly encouraged! It would also be worth contacting Mind to see what advice they can give!x

Much love <3
RSxo <3

littleem

Postby littleem » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi Sooty,

How often does your daughter experience these spells of needing to sleep excessively and to emotionally and physically ‘shut down’ ? When did this behaviour first start for her and for how long has it persisted?

Why I ask this is because I have had depression twice - but differently. The first time, I spent nine months in the house, barely going out, and predominately in bed. It was horrible. I would never have been able to have come out of that alone. I needed people to drag me out of the dark.

So, if it’s frequent, persists for long periods of time and has been going on for quite a long time... I would definitely arrange an appointment for her at the GP. You could even accompany her if she would be okay with that. I’m just saying, in my own case, I needed all the encouragement I could get.

Four years on since that time and I’ve been suffering with clinical depression for a year. I so thankfully no longer have the same experience as I did first time around. However, there are times when I ‘need’ (it feels more than just hopelessly giving up or wanting to give in to the depression) to spend some time - several days sometimes - sleeping a LOT and having a ‘down day’. I hate having these days but accept when they come. They are always a result of excessive physical and mental exertion, burn out and intense stress or upset. I always feel more refreshed and more able to cope once the days have passed.

When they happen, my mother accepts it and lets it happen. But still having her checking in on me, gently encouraging me to watch a film with her or pop out for coffee or have a nice bath, and letting me know she’s there makes such a difference.

But I need her to tell me when enough is enough! There’s a difference with me between coping and moping! I’m always grateful to her for snapping me out of the grump and getting me to go out. I’ve actually told her to MAKE SURE I get up and out when my down days are persisting longer than they should be. Try and get her to join you in some of the things she used to enjoy doing.

So, if your daughter has low mood, feelings of negativity and hopelessness and little energy, interest or motivation, I would say she needs all the support of those around her to help her move forward.

Hope some of that helps. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

Em xx

mypslgate

Postby mypslgate » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 am

There is a lot of issue with me about sleeping. many time I used sleeping pills but still, I cannot sleep. Anyone can tell me where is the main problem, please?

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”