Support Forum

SANE Support Forum

caring for a depressed parent as a teenager

If you're concerned about, or care for, someone with mental illness

caring for a depressed parent as a teenager

Postby sorchag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm eighteen years old,an only child and my mother has had severe depression and anxiety on and off since I was fifteen. She got better for a few months but has just relapsed and is now going back to being an inpatient in hospital. This is the second time she's relapsed and I'm sick of it.

My experience of the mental health system is very bad, her doctor and therapist have never spoken to me regarding her treatment or medication, or even acknowledged my existence despite me (along with my dad) being her carer. I have to force her to take her medication, to eat, to wash, to get out of bed, to do anything at all and it is frankly exhausting and I have never had any guidance apart from my own research.

Me and my Dad often get very angry and frustrated with her because, although we are fully aware that it is no way her fault, it is extremely upsetting to see her completely give up on herself. There are times when things have gotten violent which really scares me. I feel like my whole family is going to break up because of this. I'm also terrified that I'm going to do badly in my A levels this summer because of what I've been through, as the only light at the end of my tunnel is university where I can leave everything behind.

I would love to hear from anyone else whose in a similar situation to me because I constantly feel like I am alone in experiencing this. I am lucky enough to have a lovely therapist who has supported me in the past three years who I am extremely grateful for, but I really want to know that there are other people out there who experience the same things.

Thank you!!
Sorcha xx

Re: caring for a depressed parent as a teenager

Postby mihaela » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Can someone please reply to this post of six days ago? I would myself but I'm mentally in no fit state to do it at the moment. :(

Return to “Family, Friends and Carers”